Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I purchased a '98 Isuzu Amigo, 5spd, 4x4, 2.2L with 107k original miles. Came with some extras, but overall really good shape. I will say all the reviews are correct in that this thing has NO pickup what-so-ever when merging onto the interstate :lol:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Congrats, welcome to the Planet!

Reactions: BMiller

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Welcome!
Allways good to see another Tennesseean here!
You are not alone. There are many in here from TN.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
COYOTE102076 said:
Welcome!
Allways good to see another Tennesseean here!
You are not alone. There are many in here from TN.
That's good to hear! I'm actively looking for others on the road now that I have mine! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Welcome! Thats one of the rarer 2.2L 4x4 models. Hard to find!

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,799 Posts
I like the Amigo, but the 2.2L has a bad reputation. You sure got a fine-looking specimen. Those on-ramps on I-81 are kinda short, aren't they! I just spent Thanksgiving in Abingdon, so I was in your neighborhood.

Jack

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
94Rodayo4x4 said:
Welcome! Thats one of the rarer 2.2L 4x4 models. Hard to find!
Thank you! I didn't realize they were harder to find. I did want the better MPG's, but I would sacrifice a few of 'em for some more get-up-and-go! hahaha

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JoeIsuzu said:
I like the Amigo, but the 2.2L has a bad reputation. You sure got a fine-looking specimen. Those on-ramps on I-81 are kinda short, aren't they! I just spent Thanksgiving in Abingdon, so I was in your neighborhood.

Jack
Jack,

You were about 45 min. up the road! Yes, merging isn't fun with this thing, but once I get out there I don't mind so much. Other than being underpowered and the timing belt issues, what other things gave them a bad rep? I'm just curious. My thoughts would have been that it was a GM power plant, but I have a negative view based upon a family car of the past. :lol:

-Billy

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Welcome to the planet,if you see a jacked up black amigo that's my wifes,I'm driving a lifted maroon-ish trooper can't miss the rear bumper.
Also if you need parts check out advance in e-town down near taco johns bluebait works there he has a lifted white rodeo tell him your here he'll hook you up if he can

Do you drink wine?several planet members are going to meet up in abingdon for "lunch" at the local winery in next few weeks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bansil said:
Welcome to the planet,if you see a jacked up black amigo that's my wifes,I'm driving a lifted maroon-ish trooper can't miss the rear bumper.
Also if you need parts check out advance in e-town down near taco johns bluebait works there he has a lifted white rodeo tell him your here he'll hook you up if he can

Do you drink wine?several planet members are going to meet up in abingdon for "lunch" at the local winery in next few weeks
I'll keep my eyes peeled for you guys! I was looking at some of your pics and your build and thinking it looked like this area of the world, then I saw a TN plate on your rigs and thought....what county? You're right up the road! I ride up through Stoney Creek (saw the wheeling pics from that area and thought it MUST be the same one) on my way to Shady Valley on the Yamaha when the weather is nice.

I do drink wine, usually with dinner, but enjoy nice social spots as well. We used to go to this little wine bar called "Social" when I lived in Charleston, SC for a few years. Let me know when and I'll try to make it to that!

Thanks for the heads up on the parts guy as well. 8)

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,799 Posts
BMiller said:
Other than being underpowered and the timing belt issues, what other things gave them a bad rep? I'm just curious. My thoughts would have been that it was a GM power plant, but I have a negative view based upon a family car of the past. :lol:
I have no firsthand experience with it (nor any Isuzu gas engine, for that matter). If we're talking about the 2.2 that GM/Holden used in Australia, here's what JLEMOND had to say about it on another site, comparing it with the 4XE1 motor:

JLEMOND said:
IT IS APIECE OF CRAP FOR AN ENGINE ,MADE BY HOLDEN IN AUSTRALIA , BIG TIME BELT PROB, AND WHEN IT BREAKS PARTS ARE VERY EXP. FOR IT

THE 4XE1 IS A STRONG ENG AND WILL RUN FOREVER , BUT I DOTN THINK YOU WILL LIKE IT IN A PICKUP , BECAUSE OF THE TORQUE , THE 1.6 97 FT LBS AT 4200 RPN AND THE 1.8 IS 120 AT 4600 RPM WHERE EVENT HE 2.3 IS 123 FTLBS AT 26 00 RPM, IT WOULD WORK BUT YOU WILL NEED TO WIND THE DICKENS OUT IT TO GET IT GOING , THE 2.2 KANGAROO MOTOR MADE A LOT MORE HP, BUT IT WOULDNT STAY TOGETHER AND WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD CANIDATE FOR THE PICKUP EXCEPT FOR ITS RELIABILITY AND PARTS PRICES , JERRY
Jack

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Jack! The only issues I could find in my research, were the timing belt issues (this one was replaced about 14k miles ago or less) and the underpowered stuff. I've already been toying with engine swap options for down the road when it gives out....hopefully not in the near future as it's my daily driver. My buddy was over last night and we were talking about how much fun these short wheelbase vehicles are, he drives a YJ Wrangler 4cyl, and future plans. We both want these to eventually be our secondary vehicles with a daily driver for everything else. I'd love a diesel or a V8 in there :twisted:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
You also have 4.77 gears front and rear your buddy will say "wtf?....no way" just smile,keep oil clean and don't use the orange fram filters(to restrictive)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bansil said:
You also have 4.77 gears front and rear your buddy will say "wtf?....no way" just smile,keep oil clean and don't use the orange fram filters(to restrictive)
Awesome! I was unaware of what factory gearing was on the Zu's. I know his old 88 Wrangler with the 6cyl was getting put to shame by my (both of them gone now) stock ride height 64 CJ3B with stock flat head 4 banger....thing would climb straight up a wall with bald tires in 4wl :twisted:

Thanks for the heads up on the Fram. I've run them in all my past cars with no issues, but if that is another issue with these I have no problem running something else. I think there is a Purolator on it right now from the p/o.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
streetthumper said:
Nice to see people so close to me have interest in isuzu's! Im actually in kingsport, Tn about 15 minutes from johnson city.
I grew up there in Colonial Heights, in fact we just got home from there :lol:

I'll be working most of next week on Eastman Rd. at our branch there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts