Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning while driving into work, my check engine light came on in my '99 Amigo V6 2WD. I took it to Auto Zone after work to have the codes read and they said it was the Camshaft position sensor. It's about a $75 part and, according to them, it won't affect the truck but it will keep coming on until replaced and will keep me from passing emissions testing. I guess what I want to know is: is this indicative of a bigger problem or is it likely just a faulty sensor? And, how difficult is this sensor to replace? Where is it located? I just dropped a lot of money on some other repairs last month and don't have the means to get into a major issue if this is going to be a big problem. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, guys! :(

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
The CamShaft Position Sensor is being used to determine the injector sequencing on startup. The engine will start and run without it, just takes more cranking to get it running. If you have to pass an OBDII emission test it will fail because the CEL will be illuminated due to the defective sensor.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. How easy is it to replace myself? Can anyone tell me where it's located?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
"Easy" is subjective. It is under the intake manifold, drivers side head, in the rear. The intake has to come off to get to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts