Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided it was time to change spark plugs and when i did know when it goes to 2 grand or put it in gear the check engine light starts flashing.
Used bosch plugs to replace old plugs.
This is the first vehicle that i have ever owned that has done something like this.

Need help asap.

Tried to search for an answer but no luck and i don't have all night to figure it out have to drive an hour in the morning to see a lawyer.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Probably a missfire... Possibly the gaps are off, you cracked the porcelain, used the wrong plugs, or a wire may be loose. I know the Rodeo is suppose to use the ION sensing plugs, so maybe there's a specific type needed for yours.

I know when I changed mine it blinked the first time I drove it but never again after that. It's usually nothing serious when it does that, assuming your car is running fine

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know when i changed them, the old was denso plugs. 3 of them looked like they were never changed and the other 3 looked brand new with some wear on them.

it is running better than what it was doing before i changed them. It started to feel sluggish then i changed the plugs and it don't feel like it is sluggish any more but the light keeped cumming on, I don't like all the computer crap that is put into the newer vehicles they should have just left it alone with just the basic stuff that is needed for the engine to start and run.

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
The # 6 plug boot is shorter than the rest, if you put it in the wrong spot you can get a misfire. The Bosch plugs will work OK provided they are the correct heat range, gapped properly and you didn't crack an insulator when you installed them. A misfire is a flashing CEL, if is solid, retrieve the DTC and see what the problem is.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
put old plugs back in and light turned off and stop flashing.
Ended up with a code for ION sensing and a miss fire code. So know i got brand new plugs that i can't use because of the ION sensing crap.

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
I use Autolite single platinum plugs in 2 of my 3 vehicles with Ion sensing ignition systems and they work OK. My 3rd vehicle has Denso plugs same as the plugs that were in it when it was new, there is no difference in performance of these vehicles. What is the part number of the Bosch plug your using?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
FWIW, my original Champion plugs only lasted about 60k.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buster28 said:
I use Autolite single platinum plugs in 2 of my 3 vehicles with Ion sensing ignition systems and they work OK. My 3rd vehicle has Denso plugs same as the plugs that were in it when it was new, there is no difference in performance of these vehicles. What is the part number of the Bosch plug your using?
4301 is the part number. Got it out of a book that was for plugs.

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
According to the Bosch catalog, a 4301 plug is for a 2.2 L Isuzu engine, the Bosch recommended plug for a 3.2L V6 is a 9652.

Since the plugs you have won't work, you several to choose from that will perform satisfactorily. The Autolite AP3924 costs about $2.00 and absolutely will work because my 01 and 02 Rodeo 3.2 V6 with Ion sensing ignition are using them. Or you can use the Isuzu FSM recommended plugs:
K16PR-P11 (3293) Denso single platinum $9.31 @Amazon
RC10PYP4 (7346) Champion double platinum [email protected] Amazon
PK16PR11 (3264) Denso double platinum $8.77 @ Amazon

The double platinum means the ground electrode is plated as well as the current conducting electrode. They claim to have a longer life than a single platinum. I use the cheap ones and don't worry about life span, they are easy to change.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
know have a gas smell that i can't seem to get rid of. Have replaced injector o-rings and still didn't help. Any one have any ideas what it could be. damn thing just want the smell to go away and not have to worry about it any more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport s 3.2I v6 soft top and my husband changed our spark plugs, used Bosch, the check engine light (CEL) came on and stayed. We are changing our spark plugs to NGK to see it that works. Other people on a different site stated it worked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts