Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Isuzu Amigo X 2.6L
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s a 2.6L 2nd with 189k miles on it.

Okay now that I’ve got the alternator installed, I’m finally able to drive it.

I’m getting a rough idle, especially with the AC on which would be normal I suppose. It sounds rather loud rough. I don’t remember my 92 sounding like it, but it’s been a long time since I’ve owned that one.

im having the check engine light come on when it gets to around 40mph, although it has come on earlier depending on the rpms it looks like, not necessarily the speed. The light doesn’t flash, it just comes on and stays, but goes off when I change to a higher gear or slow down a little. (I.e. 4th to 5th gear)

i have not changed the spark plugs, but could this possibly be a cause of this issue?

is there any other issue that may be causing this? This vehicle had been sitting for 6-7 years before I got it. I have since changed the oil and replaced the slave cylinder and alternator.

Any other things to look into would be good to know.

thanks!

·
Registered
10,133 Posts
Are you getting a loud exhaust noise? This could be from a broken EGR tube. This tube runs from the center of your exhaust manifold around the back of the engine to the rear of your intake manifold. With hood open, listen for loud exhaust noise on driver side (a possibility) Dennis

·
Registered
1993 Isuzu Amigo X 2.6L
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you getting a loud exhaust noise? This could be from a broken EGR tube. This tube runs from the center of your exhaust manifold around the back of the engine to the rear of your intake manifold. With hood open, listen for loud exhaust noise on driver side (a possibility) Dennis
Hey again Dennis!
I can take a look, that was also a thought as some of the hoses are “old”. Could it maybe need a new EGR as well? Is there a way to test it?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Does it idle up when you turn the AC on? Does the CEL stay on so that you can check the codes when you get home?

·
Registered
1993 Isuzu Amigo X 2.6L
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

This video I think shows the 3 pin plug you're talking about. Looks like you jump the 1st and 3rd pins
Okay I finally got around to getting the code. It is giving me one set of 3 for code 12 and one set of 3 for code 44. Could the 44 be activated due to the O2 light being on or does it truly need a new O2 sensor? I’m aware of the reset screw in the dash and that it only comes on at 90k miles driven. It is at 189k miles as of right now.

Would this be a reason for the check engine light coming on at certain speeds?

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
512 Posts
The O2 light and CEL are completely independent of each other. A bad O2 sensor could theoretically cause that code, or your O2 sensor is working and you are running lean

Here's the lean flowchart from the workshop manual. Surprised it doesn't say anything about vacuum leaks, I'd add that to the list of things to check.
Rectangle Font Parallel Handwriting Number

1 - 11 of 11 Posts