Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I am having a few troubles with my 1994 trooper which I've owned for a couple of weeks

First, whenever im going up a hill (must be steep and long enough) the check engine light comes on. The engine sort of stutters or jerks as im going up the hill, and when the CEL comes on, the stuttering actually gets much better. Any ideas what this could be?

2nd - I noticed a small leak a few days ago in the driveway. Ive been monitoring it for the past few days and it seems like it leaks only after driving and then stops. Its coming out of this guy (I don't know what it is). I guess what I'm asking is whether this could be an easy fix that I could do at home or should I just take it to a shop?

Please help with my trooper!

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
You should pull the codes from the CEL. Under the center console of the dash, down low kind of by the accelerator pedal, there is a wiring harness ending at a 3-pin connector with nothing plugged into it. You need to pull it out from under the dash and jumper pins 1 and 3 with the key on. Any small wire or even a paper clip will work for this. The CEL will flash the stored codes four or five times. With the engine off you will get a 21 code first for crank position sensor, that is normal. The code after the 21 is the one we are interested in. Tell us the number and someone with a factor manual can look it up.

The drip is from the transfer case (the mechanism that splits the power and sends it to the front axle for 4WD). You should open the upper fill plug and see if the oil level is up to the hole. If not top it off with 5W30 motor oil (NOT gear oil).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts