Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 trooper with AW30-80LE automatic transmission. I found water in the chain case but not the transfer case or main transmission. The chain case is not leaking any fluid so I thought maybe a dislodged vent line might be the problem. The problem is that I cannot find one or at least a long one. I did find what looks like a 1/4" long rubber tube that is about 3/8" in diameter sticking out of the case on the drivers side about the same height as the rear output shaft. I do not think it is a plug as I can stick a wire down it about 2" before it hits something hard. Is that the vent? If it is, any ideas on how to extend it?

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
You have a vent on the driver's side near the top of the transfer case. It should point up. There is a cap on it from the factory. You can pry it off and extend the nipple that's left with a hose. I believe that the nipple presses into the case so replacing it with the transfer case in the truck won't be easy.

You can see it here. It is black and sticks up about an inch.

-Tad

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tad,

It's right where you said it was. Looks like the cap is suppose to act like a check valve. It might have been stuck open with mud or something. I'm going to see if that other tube is open into the case. It may have had a plug in it at one time.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update..The short rubber "tube" I found on the drivers side is closed on the other end about 2" from the opening. I guess it is really a plug.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts