Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange problem here, and I would appreciate any suggestions. This forum is about the best source of info I've ever found.
First off, I have a 1992 Trooper with the SOHC engine. I spent most of Saturday changing the starter on my Trooper -- had to take a section of the exhaust loose to get the job done. But now, the Trooper will run fine for an hour or so, then suddenly run like crap. It sputters, loses power, jerks, and blows smoke out the exhause.

Here's the strange part. Every once in a while, at the exact same time, the Check Engine Light will come on and the Trooper will start running fine, just like normal. The CEL stays on for maybe ten or twenty minutes, then turns off and the Trooper starts running badly again. I pulled the code, and it showed a 44 -- Oxygen Sensor showing a lean mixture.

Did I screw something up when I put the section of exhaust back on? I can't imagine it's a bad O2 sensor; wouldn't the problem be more consistent? I'm stymied.

Thanks for any suggestions,

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
You might have broken a wire in it if you had to take it out to remove the exhaust section. Or the plug might not be in all the way, or somehow managed to push an iffy sensor over the edge. What ever it is it seems to be making intermittant contact.

Probably the reason it runs better with CEL on is the computer might be going into 'limp mode' and using stored readings instead of actual sensor readings. Check the connector, if its ok then replace the sensor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gizmo42 said:
You might have broken a wire in it if you had to take it out to remove the exhaust section. Or the plug might not be in all the way, or somehow managed to push an iffy sensor over the edge. What ever it is it seems to be making intermittant contact.

Probably the reason it runs better with CEL on is the computer might be going into 'limp mode' and using stored readings instead of actual sensor readings. Check the connector, if its ok then replace the sensor.
Thanks for the quick response. I just checked the wires -- nothing broken, and the connections feel solid. I'll probably be picking up a new sensor tomorrow evening just to be sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.