Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
The radio term for what you're referring to is a linear. Technically they are only legal for licenced amatuer radio operators, on bands OTHER then Citizens Band... But many a happy go lucky cb'er runs them lol. Now that the legalies are out of the way, what research project might you be working on radio buddy?

~psguardian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
psguardian said:
The radio term for what you're referring to is a linear. Technically they are only legal for licenced amatuer radio operators, on bands OTHER then Citizens Band... But many a happy go lucky cb'er runs them lol. Now that the legalies are out of the way, what research project might you be working on radio buddy?

~psguardian
I just what to known how good is it like is it worth it or not. I know its "legal"
but now-days no one cares unless depend on what state that do cares.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
Depending on your current setup, it can be beneficial. There are three reasons to run more power then your 'barefoot' radio;

1. You want to talk to distant radios that can't hear you (but you can currently hear them).
2. You have a crushing desire to be the local radio bully & 'lock down' your fav channel for miles around.
3. Your buddy got one & it's time to play 'keeping up with the Joneses'.

Other possibilities are you can't hear/talk very far at all & think your radio sucks. (i lived here for a long time)

What setup do you have now? Rig, radio, antenna (where/how is it mounted).

~psguardian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
psguardian said:
Depending on your current setup, it can be beneficial. There are three reasons to run more power then your 'barefoot' radio;

1. You want to talk to distant radios that can't hear you (but you can currently hear them).
2. You have a crushing desire to be the local radio bully & 'lock down' your fav channel for miles around.
3. Your buddy got one & it's time to play 'keeping up with the Joneses'.

Other possibilities are you can't hear/talk very far at all & think your radio sucks. (i lived here for a long time)

What setup do you have now? Rig, radio, antenna (where/how is it mounted).

~psguardian
ok i have a cobra 75 wx st, Workman HP202S 1000 watt SWR/Power Meter, Firestik MU-8R18 Coax w/Fire-Ring, Firestik AR-1A CB/AM/FM Match Maker, Firestik SS-204 Hatch/Door, Firestik SS-3H Stainless Steel HD Antenna Spring and Firestik II FS4-B 4 Foot Black Tunable Tip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
psguardian said:
Depending on your current setup, it can be beneficial. There are three reasons to run more power then your 'barefoot' radio;

1. You want to talk to distant radios that can't hear you (but you can currently hear them).
2. You have a crushing desire to be the local radio bully & 'lock down' your fav channel for miles around.
3. Your buddy got one & it's time to play 'keeping up with the Joneses'.

Other possibilities are you can't hear/talk very far at all & think your radio sucks. (i lived here for a long time)

What setup do you have now? Rig, radio, antenna (where/how is it mounted).

~psguardian
the antenna mount is on the driver-side

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
Ok, lets evaluate from the antenna back.

Antenna = the bull horn. most important part of a system, if it sux you'll hate life.
4' fire stik - not the end all be all, but far from the bottom.

Mount = the arm that holds the bull horn.
Lip mount w/spring - probly ok while stationary but nasty in motion. Does the spring have a braided wire connecting the ends inside? (I'm going to guess no)

the stereo/cb antenna splicer = weakest link, two entirely dissimilar systems. Will they work? Yea.... Will they do both jobs well? Nope.

Radio = the lungs behind the bull horn.
It's a hand held job right? All-in-mic with battery or cig lighter power adapter? They are ok for local work, but don't expect too much from it in terms of sparkling clean sound or reaching long range (unless it's line-of-sight).

Could you get a linear for this setup? Yes.
Should you get a linear for this setup? No.

A system like this can probly survive a small linear (think half of what your antenna says it's rated for, that's the rule of thumb I always get told), but the splitter will melt &/or fail.

Are you having any issues with it now? Or are you still planning out what parts to buy & install?

Love that meter BTW

~psguardian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
psguardian said:
Ok, lets evaluate from the antenna back.

Antenna = the bull horn. most important part of a system, if it sux you'll hate life.
4' fire stik - not the end all be all, but far from the bottom.

Mount = the arm that holds the bull horn.
Lip mount w/spring - probly ok while stationary but nasty in motion. Does the spring have a braided wire connecting the ends inside? (I'm going to guess no)

the stereo/cb antenna splicer = weakest link, two entirely dissimilar systems. Will they work? Yea.... Will they do both jobs well? Nope.

Radio = the lungs behind the bull horn.
It's a hand held job right? All-in-mic with battery or cig lighter power adapter? They are ok for local work, but don't expect too much from it in terms of sparkling clean sound or reaching long range (unless it's line-of-sight).

Could you get a linear for this setup? Yes.
Should you get a linear for this setup? No.

A system like this can probly survive a small linear (think half of what your antenna says it's rated for, that's the rule of thumb I always get told), but the splitter will melt &/or fail.

Are you having any issues with it now? Or are you still planning out what parts to buy & install?

Love that meter BTW

~psguardian
thinking about the cobra 75 wx st is connect it the battery now what do you think what i should do? and think you for replying i really appreciate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
No worries, I love radio. As long as you aren't stepping on 'extra freqs' with a cb (which are reserved for ham & business communications) or being the local bully I'm glad to help out.

Is this for the trooper?

I would recommend a larger radio if it's not just for trail talk. They are ok for short range stuff, but if it's gonna be a perm fixture in the truck get something that you can install.

I have a cobra 29 LTD that I used to run on a 5.5ft fiberglass antenna. Pull up to top of a hill & talk 50mi down the columbia gorge. I am looking at getting a galaxy DX 949 next. If those are too large for your taste, look at something in the size range of a cobra 25 or galaxy dx919. Fits really well into the cubby slot that most of us don't use lol. Also these four would give you a lot more pow for your money vs the handheld (maybe even better then handled+linear).

~psguardian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
psguardian said:
I have a cobra 29 LTD
I've got the same radio. Good unit. Still can't compare to putting out 65W from a 2meter radio and hitting probably something like 20-40x the range of the CB!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
enigma said:
psguardian said:
I have a cobra 29 LTD
I've got the same radio. Good unit. Still can't compare to putting out 65W from a 2meter radio and hitting probably something like 20-40x the range of the CB!
yea one of the wish list items is an amatuer radio so I will have reason to go get my ham ticket.

~psguardian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Something else to consider when running an amp is "who are you talking to". If you are using this in town or on a busy hi-way, you can easily overload the radio of the car in front of you. If you are only using it when you are out in the middle of nowhere (a small town in Arizona), having an amp can help, but a REALLY good antenna is more important.

You can have the best radio in the world and a crappy antenna will give you a crappy experience. Likewise, a really good antenna, correctly mounted and grounded, can make a so-so radio perform like a champ.

If you study HAM/amateur radio guides, the CB band is right next to the 10Meter band (CB is 11meter). There are some 10meter radios that can be modded to work on the CB channels, some just by "unlocking" them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
I ran a Cobra Classic like the one in the link along side a 500 watt linear in my big rig for years.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cobra-Classic ... l/10603633

Once I got east of the Rockies, I could jump on the upper side band of channel 40 and talk to my wife in New York with no problems from anywhere in the US. Sometimes on a really good night I could reach her even west of the Rockies by talking skip, but those times were few.

I told you that story to clarify why you should use a linear. CB's are designed to put out only 5 watts, but very few people are only pushing that much. Most have had them tuned to toss out up to 10 watts. Which is more than enough power for anyone who is only trying to talk across town.

The rig wore a matched pair of Big Momma's oil filled whips and when pushing the full 500 watts through them they often glowed in the dark as the antennas heated up. The coax cables would also get very warm whenever I was transmitting. I replaced them every 9 months or so as I would burn them out with continued use. Of course the radio was peaked at 25 watts with a reverb and repeater.



Do as you like with your own toys, but I recommend you forget about a linear until you have a better radio and a dedicated CB antenna. You start pushing 1000 watts through what you have now and you are only asking for trouble.

I sold the radio with the rig and have not replaced it or mounted one in the Rodeo. I have an old stile 23 channel that I'll hook up with a cigarette lighter adapter and a magnetic roof mount antenna that I use on long trips so I can talk with the guys in the rigs. Nothing fancy, just simple commo for the trip. The only part that stays mounted in the truck is the external speaker that you can see in my sig.

Another thing to consider about running a linear, they are illegal on CB's and if you think no one cares, just key up next to a cop and see what happens.

We'll catch ya later bud. You been talking at Dragon Slayer (my handle) out front shaken the trees, and Pot Luck (the wife) in the rockin chair, while Preacher (my brother) rakes the leaves. Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down, and we'll catch y-all on the flip flop. Toodle-loooo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
Trooper King said:
psguardian said:
The radio term for what you're referring to is a linear. Technically they are only legal for licenced amatuer radio operators, on bands OTHER then Citizens Band... But many a happy go lucky cb'er runs them lol. Now that the legalies are out of the way, what research project might you be working on radio buddy?

~psguardian
I just what to known how good is it like is it worth it or not. I know its "legal"
but now-days no one cares unless depend on what state that do cares.
Has nothing to do with states,in fact,states don't care. The FCC cares as they have jurisdiction. More power gets you farther. If the guy on the other end has more power,he can reach you too. If not,he hears you and you dont hear him. The 11m band that CB works on can go a long ways. With the right antenna,you can actually communicate with Asia on 5 watts by skipping it off the ionosphere.

The long and the short of it is,be careful you don't interfere with other services. For instance,if your "linear" isn't really linear,then you will create harmonics that will interfere with people on other frequencies. If you do that,then they will complain to the FCC and they may come find you. FYI: Its not hard to find someone on a radio,even with a hand held walkie talkie, much less with the proper equipment. The point about keying up next to a cop is well taken. There are severe penalties for interfering with their radios.

Alot of people use them though without problems. All your doing is increasing your output power which increases your range and that's only useful for communicating with other people that are using them. In other words,if your using one,but I'm not,I can hear you but you will never hear my response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
Trooper King said:
psguardian said:
Depending on your current setup, it can be beneficial. There are three reasons to run more power then your 'barefoot' radio;

1. You want to talk to distant radios that can't hear you (but you can currently hear them).
2. You have a crushing desire to be the local radio bully & 'lock down' your fav channel for miles around.
3. Your buddy got one & it's time to play 'keeping up with the Joneses'.

Other possibilities are you can't hear/talk very far at all & think your radio sucks. (i lived here for a long time)

What setup do you have now? Rig, radio, antenna (where/how is it mounted).

~psguardian
the antenna mount is on the driver-side

First thing you need to do is put that antenna right in the middle of the roof. Thats a bad location for an antenna where you have it now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
psguardian said:
No worries, I love radio. As long as you aren't stepping on 'extra freqs' with a cb (which are reserved for ham & business communications) or being the local bully I'm glad to help out.

Is this for the trooper?

I would recommend a larger radio if it's not just for trail talk. They are ok for short range stuff, but if it's gonna be a perm fixture in the truck get something that you can install.

I have a cobra 29 LTD that I used to run on a 5.5ft fiberglass antenna. Pull up to top of a hill & talk 50mi down the columbia gorge. I am looking at getting a galaxy DX 949 next. If those are too large for your taste, look at something in the size range of a cobra 25 or galaxy dx919. Fits really well into the cubby slot that most of us don't use lol. Also these four would give you a lot more pow for your money vs the handheld (maybe even better then handled+linear).

~psguardian
Yea,if you step on my ham frequencies,I WILL find you. I can even do it with a handheld scanner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
AudioRedneck said:
Something else to consider when running an amp is "who are you talking to". If you are using this in town or on a busy hi-way, you can easily overload the radio of the car in front of you. If you are only using it when you are out in the middle of nowhere (a small town in Arizona), having an amp can help, but a REALLY good antenna is more important.

You can have the best radio in the world and a crappy antenna will give you a crappy experience. Likewise, a really good antenna, correctly mounted and grounded, can make a so-so radio perform like a champ.

If you study HAM/amateur radio guides, the CB band is right next to the 10Meter band (CB is 11meter). There are some 10meter radios that can be modded to work on the CB channels, some just by "unlocking" them.
Theres some old stuff that just works on it. The difference between ham and cb is,a CB must be FCC approved and its not legal to modify it. Ham radios can even be homemade if you want. Its up to you not to transmit on the wrong frequency even if you have the ability to.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top