Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this Montero I had worked on over the Summer finally went home with it's owner a while ago. He called me a few months later complaining of intermittent rough running while driving on the freeway. He drops it off and I go drive it to see the issue for myself. It certainly did it for me so as I'm driving back to the shop it dies and won't restart. I call someone to pull me back to the shop and I start by checking for spark. Nothing. So I pull a timing cover and the belt isn't broken but down deep something caught my eye. I get my long skinny flashlight out and snake it down low to where the crank sensor is. It's busted clean off of it mount. So, I'm thinking easy fix. New crank sensor and we're good. I tear it down to get to the sensor and as I'm lining up the marks preparing for t-belt removal, they won't line up. Valve timing is off but how?? I keep tearing down and I get down to it and one of the three "teeth" on the stamped metal reluctor wheel is bent over the timing belt sprocket. WTF? I'm thinking! Somehow, the sensor breaking off bent the tab just enough so that the timing belt caught it, bent is all the way over and that allowed the timing belt to slip when it got between it and the sprocket. So, I reinstall the belt so I can do a compression test. No squeeze in number 2. Sheesh. I talked him into buying a used engine to replace it since they are somewhat cheap and this engine has some other minor problems. I figured pulling and redoing the heads would cost almost as much as finding a replacement engine. But, GEEZE, this engine is a piss poor design. Seems like the Isuzu V-6's are much better with the crank sensor reluctor being inside and part of the crank instead of a re-engineered add-on to the front of the crank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts