Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Redoing a 1985 Trooper that will be driven and licensed in an area where there is no inspection test on emissions, at least thats what my son tells me. The trooper has 270,000 miles on it with the original converter still installed. I have to think that its got to be clogged up to some extent. Has anyone tried to gut one out and then reinstall it. I probably can't get any muffler shop around here to touch it (we have emissions testing here) Just wandering. What are the simptions of a partially clogged cat converter.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Your cat is probably fine. Its the old school version that utilizes little pellet balls as a catylist rather then a honey comb. I've never seen one clogg but rather they loose all the little balls and fail emissions. If you suspect a problem with clogging, the symptoms would be the engine cutting out or choking under full throttle or high load situations like acceleration up a hill or getting on the interstate. All low speed/low load functions will be normal.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it wasn't so much work, I would remove it or gut it and reinstall it. So thanks for the input. A 1.9 was never very strong, but this one runs good so I think I'll just leave it be. The 85 comes from the factory with 8 bolts holding the cat on, and after 25 years there so rusty I would probably have to cut them off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts