Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My carrier bearing/rubber surround is GONE. Driveshaft wobbles like a wet noodle. Need to get the ole' girl home for repairs. Can I pull out the 3 part driveshaft, toss it in the back, engage 4wd and limp on home? It about a 10 mile trip, no speeds over 40

Thanks...Loose Moose

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
If you have a slip yoke in the back you need to keep the front section in. Otherwise it will puke fluid everywhere .... Otherwise your good to go !!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haynes is showing a Spline Yoke in diagram. Shows plugging or covering hole so that oil does not run out. My trooper is 5 speed. Could I cover hole with piece of innertube and a hose clamp to keep oil in while driving?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't been able to go get the ole' girl yet. Wife's car decided it wanted to crap out...Merry Christmas to me! Got hers running and about to leave to go get the Trooper. I do hope shaft comes out of tranny easily. Thanks for posts everyone.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ALRIGHT!!! Got her home. Since the center bearing rubber is all gone, I just had to unbolt at the rear and pull it through the hole. Next question...Bearing is still on the driveshaft and seems to be in good shape, rolls smoothe. Rubber support is all gone. Can I just install new rubber or do I need take everything apart, pull the bearing and install all new? Advance, Oreilly, Autozone all have both parts. Attached pics of parts (hopefully) and bearing on my driveshaft.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Since your there you should probly do the whole bearing. If you think the bearing is good you could just replace the rubber... Use your best judgement !!! Keep in mind that if the bearing goes in could damage the drive line

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I would say now is a perfect time to convert to 1 piece drive shaft...I wish I would have when my carrier went out...

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I have a carrier bearing off my 91 donor troop. I will pick it up in the morning an the way to my dads. And if you want it, it is yours.

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
One of the pics didnt load the first time I responded. Where were you able to find just the rubber piece? part number?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I decided to go with just the rubber at this point. The bearing still sounds really good. I tend to live by the mantra of don't fix it if it ain't broke. I'll cut the old rubber off, clean and grease what I can. put it all back together. Plus $17 was easier to spend than $65. I found the rubber piece at O'reilly. Advance had the same parts as well. I've got a likely head gasket change coming soon. so I need to save the pennies where I can. I think oil with a slightly green hue needs to be addressed. Then I get to tackle control arm bushings on a 93 Volvo. Ahh...looking forward to busted knuckles for the next few weeks.

Thanks everyone. Merry Christmas. I'll post the pick of my awesome soup can & electrical tape tranny oil saver.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rubber didn't work. The bearing is within metal. Cross-referenced parts and matched with carrier bearing support off of truck, got one for a Passport/Rodeo. All went together well. Took her for a drive and everything went fine for a few miles...then...clack, clack, clack, thunk, thunk, thunk. Center bearing pulled out of the carrier, to the FRONT! I could understand it going backwards, but forwards I don't get. Could disintegrated rear leaf spring bushings cause this? Maybe a transmission mount be broken, causing things to twist? At a loss here.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
It's possible the carrier bearing is getting warm and trying to seize !! In turn it spins right out of the rubber. I'm sorry it's still giving you trouble. Even if you have a few loose bushings the boot should flex enough for that. If somethings broken (mount wise) then I could see it getting push/pulled on. How many slip yokes are there ??? Just the trany ??

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
First you have to plug the hole but be careful with plastistic as the tranny will get hot. If the road is smooth, I'd just drive it with the shaft in. I had toi do that when mine went. It would realy bang when I hit a bump, but I managed to drive to the auto parts store and get a replacement carrier bearing.

You should replace the whole carrier bearing. The hard part is getting the the driveshaft apart to slip it on. A vice to hold the shaft would help. Squatch and I replaced mine at GWNF. I held the shaft while he used my breaker bar to loosen the nut that holds on the flange.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Only one slip yoke at tranny. Could I maybe have gotten the pinion bolt too tight, not allowing enough flex? Torqued it to 80 ft/lbs

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Your talking about the flange nut for accessing the carrier bearing ??? I think there's a shoulder/stopping point for the flange weather it be the carrier bearing race itself or built into the splines you should be good there. How did the U joints feel ??? Did they move smoothly in all directions ??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Everything felt great when I put it back together. No play at all in any direction. I was very pleased with myself. It is possible that I have drive shafts installed opposite one another. Meaning like 180 degrees. Just can't figure why shaft pulled forward though. Maybe I should detach front and rear shaft at bearing, return shaft into carrier bearing support, rotate driveshaft 180 degrees, reattach rear shaft to front.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
180 off is no biggy.... As long as the U joints follow the same parallel line drawn from one end to the other. Does the slip yoke have one spline double wide. Sometimes they do and if it's off the slip won't slide smoothly. Check your tranny mount to !!! Maybe it's lifting under torque and pulling everything forward.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts