Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of changing the rear diff oil in my 2001 Honda Passport 4wd. I ordered a gasket from rockauto and its the wrong one. Went to a local autoparts store that supposedly had it and stock...wrong one once again.

Guy at the autoparts store recommended just using RTV. I picked up some "Gear Oil Safe" RTV made especially for rear diff's. Anyone have any experience with this? Is this an OK option? Seemed like that's all the factory used.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
The factory used just RTV for the gasket. I have used the orange stuff and that worked.

You need a gasket for a Dana 44 rear. Lubelocker makes a good gasket for us. I have reused mine, even though they say you shouldnt.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dae said:
The factory used just RTV for the gasket. I have used the orange stuff and that worked.

You need a gasket for a Dana 44 rear. Lubelocker makes a good gasket for us. I have reused mine, even though they say you shouldnt.
Yeah after i posted i realized "Duh...factory used sealant"

I guess I'll give the RTV a go. If that doesn't work I'll order a lubelocker gasket online somewhere.

Any tips for using the RTV?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Big Jay said:
Dae said:

I guess I'll give the RTV a go. If that doesn't work I'll order a lubelocker gasket online somewhere.

Make sure the mating surfaces are clean and grease free ;)

Camiel

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Big Jay said:
Make sure the surfaces are 100% clean and smooth and grease free. (brake cleaner works well).
Apply the RTV bead on the diff cover, quickly put the cover on the diff and snug the bolts EVENLY.
When you see the RTV start to squish, let it settle for about 30 minutes, then torque the bolts down evenly. Add fluid and check for leaks.

Lube locker gasket is well worth it if it gives you any problems. At my friends shop they use grey RTV, and it seals up well.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Big Jay said:
Dae said:

Good article from the latest Offroad magazine http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/1105or_ ... index.html

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Put it on the cover, its much easier then trying to run a bead of RTV on a vertical surface.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Save yourself the time and headache from getting that crap all over you and having to re-do it everytime you go inside the differential, get a lube-locker gasket.

Myself, Gizmo42, and a few others have this gasket. The best part about it is it's re-usable. :wink:

Any Dana 44 rear axle gasket will work.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
black98rodeo said:
Save yourself the time and headache from getting that crap all over you and having to re-do it everytime you go inside the differential, get a lube-locker gasket.

Myself, Gizmo42, and a few others have this gasket. The best part about it is it's re-usable. :wink:

Any Dana 44 rear axle gasket will work.
I definitely would have gone that route. Unfortunately, the truck is sitting on my lift with no gear lube and the cover off LOL. I need to use it and my father needs the lift to fix his truck.

If it leaks then I'll be buying that gasket for the do-over.

I should have a cast cover, not stamped...right?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Big Jay said:
I should have a cast cover, not stamped...right?
Are you talking about the aluminum cover?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
No it won't leak. Just put a good solid bead of RTV around it and it'll be ok. Just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
A good RTV to use is the black adheasive kind thats what Ive found works the best on all the heavy equipment that i maintain at my work. It still comes off easy but really sticks the parts (sealing surfices) together. I just used it on my pan of my amigo to reseal it.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Big Jay said:
Make sure the cover is extremely clean.

Put a thin, consistant layer of the rtv on the cover.

Let sit over night. To let the rtv cure. Then put the cover on.

Works more like a gasket then. Instead of just a goopy sealant.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Lubelocker FTW. I have reused mine about 6 times now. I have a couple new ones so I can replace it next time I have the cover off. Shouldnt need to take my cover off so much anymore.

I've had mixed results with rtv, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.