Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
I'm installing a '99 3.2L. I would like to try and start it before I proceed with tranny install.
Everything is connected (or so I thought). Turn the key to ON, lights in instrument cluster come on, hit START...nothing.
I checked the circuit and there is no power feeding the starter relay.
I checked the main 80A and 50A fuses, good. I checked C1 fuse, good.
1. Does the PCM need to be connected just to get power to starter?
2. Is there a neutral safety switch?

·
Registered
11,723 Posts
The Neutral Safety Switch is part of the transmission Range Mode Switch (RMS). The RMS has to be in the Park or Neutral position to get power to the Starter Solenoid Relay. Additionally, the Anti-Theft module has to be in the not alarm state to complete the circuit ground. You will have to jumper around the RMS and Anti-Theft to get the Starter Solenoid Relay to energize.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rather than jumper for the mode switch, the tranny is just lying there. I'm thinking I can set it in front of the vehicle, wire it up, and still have plenty of slack to connect harness terminals, which I believe are the ones behind driver side headlamp. Just need to make sure I got the mode switch in Park.
I'm curious why I should consider the Anti-Theft module. (?) Wouldn't that already be tied into the body harness? I haven't located the AT module yet to confirm. The WSM shows it, best I can tell, drivers side by fuse box. But the direction arrow at bottom points FWD? Wierd.

Sleeve Organism Gesture Font Rectangle

·
Registered
11,723 Posts
I'm curious why I should consider the Anti-Theft module. (?) Wouldn't that already be tied into the body harness? I haven't located the AT module yet to confirm. The WSM shows it, best I can tell, drivers side by fuse box. But the direction arrow at bottom points FWD? Wierd.
A relay located on the Anti-Theft module circuit board is part of the engine cranking circuit, in series with the Neutral Safety Switch.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I thought 99 Troopers were 3.5L only and the rodeos were 3.2L.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps you're right. The body is badged 3.5L. I'm putting in the 3.2L + PCM because that's what I have available. I believe the 3.5 is just a stroked 3.2.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

So, here's the setup to try and test start. I'll add split loom to the harness prior to install.
This was the harness which was on the pallet with the tranny in the barn. With the exception of O2 sensors, all terminals found a home.
I ran the black/blue/green terminals up and tied them into the '99 Trooper engine bay harness.
But....Houston, we have a problem.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

The blue and green went together fine. Although I haven't checked to see if wire colors align.
Then I got to the black terminal...
Automotive lighting Product Rectangle Font Automotive tire

Why would the black terminal for a '99 Rodeo not plug into a '99 Trooper harness ???
Blimey.

·
Registered
11,723 Posts
View attachment 120015
So, here's the setup to try and test start. I'll add split loom to the harness prior to install.
This was the harness which was on the pallet with the tranny in the barn. With the exception of O2 sensors, all terminals found a home.
I ran the black/blue/green terminals up and tied them into the '99 Trooper engine bay harness.
But....Houston, we have a problem.
View attachment 120016
The blue and green went together fine. Although I haven't checked to see if wire colors align.
Then I got to the black terminal...
View attachment 120017

Why would the black terminal for a '99 Rodeo not plug into a '99 Trooper harness ???
Blimey.
There are significant differences between the 99 Trooper transmission /RMS wiring and the 99 Rodeo wiring. You will have to make modifications to the wiring to connect the Rodeo transmission/RMS, it will not be plug and play solution.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. The transmission component wires (colors) are fairly easy to identify. Not so for the engine bay harness.
I currently don't have a book or diagram which explains what each wire is for on the blue/black/green terminals. I'm working on it.

In the meantime, I'm heading to the salvage yard, back to the '99 Trooper. I'm going to try and figure it out from the transmission harness on it, maybe pull it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts