Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to make the 12v plugs constant in a 2002 Trooper? In my old 4Runner folks had figured out a way to remove a relay and jump the contacts and I am just curious if that has been figured out for a Trooper ...

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
645 Posts
Your radio has a constant 12v( + ) . Yellow usually,,

you can Spice a wire into that and run it down to the cig lighter,(+) just cut the red wire that the cig lighter has on it now and run it up to the 12v constant thats connected to radio, the ground wire is good nothing needed for that.

Either that or run a wire from battery positive directly to cig lighter, but the easy way is to spice in to the radio, alot easier and the same exact thing as running directly to battery.

I have my led floor lights spiced into my cig lighter and have never blew a fuse or had any issues.

-Hope i helped

·
Registered
645 Posts
yeah your right :)

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,743 Posts
Ohhhh, now I see. Accessory outlets, AKA cigarette lighter outlets. Not "plugs". You had me going, because there are no glow plugs on U.S. 2002 Troopers. And spark plugs are not 12v (that I know of).

Jack

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yeah, you can do that or you can add your own 12v sockets anywhere you need. There is a write up on the forum somewhere and it is pretty easy to do. I added two extra ones on my console and plan to add one in the cargo area and possibly one for the back seat passengers.

It is a very functional mod.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gizmo42 said:
Much easier to just pull the relay and jumper it.

Here is mine for my rodeo..

This is what I was looking for ... I have a couple of outlets to install directly wired to the battery. In the meantime though, I wanted a quicker fix with a jumper.

Thanks.

·
Registered
645 Posts
as long as your happy and have a solution thats all that matters :) ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Pulling this back from the grave........

Where is the ACC relay? I cant find it on my 2000 Trooper. I have the three 4 prong relays on the fuse box in the kick panel but cant find a two prong just for accessories.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
There is another fuse box in the engine compartment...not saying that is where the relay is, but it might be.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Checked there first. Didnt see anything. I'm thinking it will be easier to just run a wire to the battery.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
I would advise that anyone jumpering a relay, or adding additional "cigarette plugs" use a fuse in the circut. An unfused circut is an invitation to a burned up Isuzu (or any other type of vehicle). Seen it happen. Dennis

Reactions: badpenny

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
I am planning on putting a couple of accessory sockets, in my trooper.

For something like this, that might be drawing current that the factory never counted on.. I personally do not trust any circuitry that the factory has put in.

I will run a 10ga wire for both the ground and the positive, directly back to the battery.

I will fuse as close to the battery as I can.

As for the 'never counted on' statement... The factory built the circuits with the minimum guage wire they could. Add anything at all, and you are running a risk.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
We have a policy at work that if any electrical circut is added to a vehicle, it will be either added to an approved existing fused circut, or a fuse will be added as close to the battery as possible. This came about after someone tapped into an unfused hot wire and ended up burning out the cab of a dump truck. An expensive lesson. Dennis

1 - 16 of 16 Posts