Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
To remove the cup requires that you remove the front axle, they are held in by the mounting plate. Basically the same procedure as pulling axles to install a locker. DAVE

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I would avoid this if possible...but if you have to, the inner part of the CV axle is retained by two snap rings behind the diff locating bracket. One snap ring on a bearing, and one on a seal.

You may be able to remove the shock, support the pumpkin with a jack or whatever, unbolt the diff bracket from the diff and from the frame, and pull the bracket and cup out through the control arms.

Or, drop the entire front axle assembly. Lots of fun. I am doing it right now.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Why would you want to change the "cup"? I assume you are talking about the inner coffee can looking thing plugged in to the diff. Yes, take the new cup off and then stab the inner joint in to the old existing cup. For future reference, you can order replacement shafts configured just that way, without the inner cup.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Bikesrcool said:
ok so could i just take the cup off of the new cv and put it on the old one and call it good?
If you got your CV from a salvage yard, then yes. If you bought it aftermarket, maybe and maybe not. Many aftermarket CVs used a generic joint design, may not be compatible with the original Isuzu CV.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
And I'll add that there are two sizes of OEM CV. A search here might give you the identifying marks to determine what you have. If you can find the same size, you can probably change them without changing the inner-shaft and cup. The cup almost never wears out.

-Tad

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knows the size of the snap rings that hold the oil seal and bearing in place and the O ring? Went to the local autopart's shops around here and none of them seem to know exactly which snap or O rings would fit my application. I got a 1993 Trooper RS, 5 speed, 4x4. If you guys have this information or know of an online site with this information it would surely help. These little parts are holding me back from wheeling! Lol... Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Got the snap rings. Just need the retaining clip/ C-clip size for the inner CV shaft bearing size? And the outer Snap clip shim in the hub? :|

1 - 10 of 10 Posts