Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 1992 Isuzu Amigo 2.6 L and I want to convert it to a Isuzu V-6 Engine. Has anyone done this before and if so how difficult was it? Is there any other V-6 Engine that would work for this application?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
1993Amigo said:
Hello, I have a 1992 Isuzu Amigo 2.6 L and I want to convert it to a Isuzu V-6 Engine. Has anyone done this before and if so how difficult was it? Is there any other V-6 Engine that would work for this application?
AFAIK, as to a direct swap to the ISUZU 3.2/3.5, nope, not gonna happen, so I direct you back to Amigo-2K's statement. :D

Cheers,

·
Registered
132 Posts
As others have eluded to, to upgrade to a V6, you will need the engine, tranny, computer wiring and anything else that might be needed to run a totally different engine. For all the trouble that you would be going through, I would go with a small V8 and make it all right.

Course then you are just like the Jeepers, only thing that is the same is the frame and the body and the interior :D

Hope this clears things up. Only the 2.3L 4cyl and the 2.6L 4cyl can be used with your configuration without MAJOR modification

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am just curious why the swap would be such big project. I understand that there are quite a few GM engines that fit our bell housing.
As far as the CPU goes I am just wondering what would be so bad about going with a carburated V6 engine?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Ya know, that's not such a bad question. I'm a Trooper guy myself, but same deal. Now each and everybody tells me that I cant swap a V6 into a 2.6 trooper without changing out the tranny and just about everything else. Now this may be true.....But back in the day, I'm a old fart, if you wanted to for instance, put a caddy engine in a old ford, what you did was get an adaptor plate to bolt it up. Now, the guy next door is a machinist and we got our heads together and decided to round up a junk 2.6 tranny and a junk GM V6 and see if its doable. May not be, but I dont know why not. As for carburation vs fuel injection...Give me a carb any day. When I set it, it stays set. Anyhoot, once we try this out, I'll let everyone know if it's a viable option.

Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
onetouch said:
Ya know, that's not such a bad question. I'm a Trooper guy myself, but same deal. Now each and everybody tells me that I cant swap a V6 into a 2.6 trooper without changing out the tranny and just about everything else. Now this may be true.....But back in the day, I'm a old fart, if you wanted to for instance, put a caddy engine in a old ford, what you did was get an adaptor plate to bolt it up. Now, the guy next door is a machinist and we got our heads together and decided to round up a junk 2.6 tranny and a junk GM V6 and see if its doable. May not be, but I dont know why not. As for carburation vs fuel injection...Give me a carb any day. When I set it, it stays set. Anyhoot, once we try this out, I'll let everyone know if it's a viable option.

Jim
Well I understand that there are quite a few GM V6 and at least one V8
(the northstar)engines that fit or almost fit our tranny.
Once I happened upon a web site, not much to look at but a lot of info, that listed the GM engines that could be bolted on to our tranny without too much fabrication. I tried to find it again but can't.
Yeah as far as an adaptor plate, man I remember people telling me that Offy used to make a lot of them even custom ones, but I don't think that we'd need one.
I guess mounts would be a bigger obstacle then the trany.
Anyway I am rooting for you on the junk test fit please let us know how it goes if you decide to do it.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Well, there again everyone on the forum and other people I've talked to say they wont bolt up. I dont doubt this, if they would someone would have done it a long time ago.

Now as far as the "junk test" goes, it's gonna happen just to satisfy my own curiousity, and I will let everyone know. As far as mounts go, I dont see any real problems. Made plenty of them in the past.

Now the way I see it, if you get a guy that knows his way around a drafting board & a set of calipers (that would be me) and a guy that knows his way around a machine shop (that would be my buddy), add a good piece of 3/8" plate, should work. I might find out differently, but I really dont think so.

That said, if it works out , I"ll probably make up a couple to keep around for the big day my 2.6 finally craps out. Dont see it happening soon. The main reason for this experiment is that I cant stand that word CANT. Sometimes you cant, but not all that often.

Sooooo....along the lines of swapping, I think If I ever went to the bothernation of a major swap, I'd go with the old tried & true 283 chevy small block. Mild setup should net a extra hundred hp or so, and if you use the loud pedel with a little bit of sense the tranny should hold up just fine. 289'302 fords are a little bit narrower but a tad bit longer. Distribtor is in the front though which is a plus. Just dont like workin on Fords.

Sorry for the long post.

Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sooooo....along the lines of swapping, I think If I ever went to the bothernation of a major swap, I'd go with the old tried & true 283 chevy small block. Mild setup should net a extra hundred hp or so, and if you use the loud pedel with a little bit of sense the tranny should hold up just fine. 289'302 fords are a little bit narrower but a tad bit longer. Distribtor is in the front though which is a plus. Just dont like workin on Fords.

Sorry for the long post.

Well everyone seems to think that a v8 is probably too heavy for our suspenssion. Since I can't find the springs on my front end I'll probably agree with them. :) :D
Though I did see pics of a Northstar V8 on a web site. I am not sure if the guy kept the zoo front end or something else.
Anywhoo I would have no problem with a 3.4.

Now what exactly do plan on machining, an adaptor plate or mounts?

·
Registered
36 Posts
onetouch said:
Well, there again everyone on the forum and other people I've talked to say they wont bolt up. I dont doubt this, if they would someone would have done it a long time ago.

Well, here's one, the guy used a store bought adaptor but I understand that the one he's talking about would not work for 87 and up, though I haven't contacted the company to confirm. Anyway its a decent site and he even has pics of the conversion

http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/swap.htm

"May 98

Hello Everyone :)

We just put my son's Chevy V-6 powered 86 Trooper II on the road!!! Which means the swap is about 95% finished, Hopefully no problems will crop up."

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Well everyone seems to think that a v8 is probably too heavy for our suspenssion. Since I can't find the springs on my front end I'll probably agree with them. Smile Very Happy
Though I did see pics of a Northstar V8 on a web site. I am not sure if the guy kept the zoo front end or something else.
Anywhoo I would have no problem with a 3.4.

Now what exactly do plan on machining, an adaptor plate or mounts?

Well, you wont see a spring as in a coil or leaf, the torsion bar is your spring on these front end designs.

As far as machining, just the adapter plate I supose. Mill it, drill it etc.

As far as the mounts, no real machining there. What I've allways done is dangle your block in where it needs to be, block it up, level it side to side & front to back & center it. Make up a set of cardboard templates, use some square tubing & plate & weld em up.

Extra weight might be a problem, but hey, where's your sense of adventure. Just another can of worms to over come.

·
Registered
36 Posts
sneekyeye said:
For the extra weight, you could pick up some heavier torsion bars from Calmini or Independent4x.
I wonder if they really work
I would like to believe that that would suport a V8. that would be something.
Is there any way to rig springs, coil or even leafs to our front end?

·
Registered
734 Posts
OK I'll try to reply as to why you cant do this easily. All of the swaps you have read about where people drop 3.4s into their Isuzus easily are all on Troopers. ALL of these troops had a 2.8 V6 as the original motor, which was made by GM. This is why the bellhousings from the tranny would match up with the 3.4. Now, since the 2.6 was made by Isuzu it WILL NOT match up with a GM engine. Like it was said before...this would require a lot of work. If you could make an adaptor I say go for it.

Chris

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Ahh, after all this, wer're talking automatic? Dont have a clue. Dont even like em. I was talking about a 5 speed manual.

Jim

·
Registered
734 Posts
Doesnt matter if it is a manual or automatic. Same thing applies. Cant just swap a V6 in.

Chris

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Dont remember anyone saying you could just drop on in. Sure are big on "cant".

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.