Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any idea how to do this??? im tired of that gray carpet that they try to pull off on the doors on my isuzu im assuming maybe fabric glue and more patience than i have. im one of three ******** at my school and im trying to cram as much camo into that thing as i can.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Any upholstery shop can do that for you, if you have no upholstery experience don't even try to do it yourself, it won't be pretty, thank you for posting that pic you just gave me an idea for a place to put all my old m.o.l.l.e patches.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I don't know that you need to have upholstery experience to do something like that...most likely that panel itself comes out of the door panel and once you get it out, re-upholstering it wouldn't be difficult, provided you can find the material and have the tools to pull the panel off without damaging it...most ******** have plenty of tools... ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, ill see what i can do and keep you posted on what i come up with. ill go around town and see if any upholstery shops will do it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is actually very easy. If you can pull the carpeted parts out.

Grab the camo material you want, and some thin foam rubber type stuff and a can of 3M 77 Spray adhesive.

Remove the carpet stuff from the insert, and clean it up.

Spray the foam rubber and insert with the spray adhesive, and let them tack up for 30 minutes or so.

Put the foam on onthe insert and burnish it, then trim it up.

Do the same thing with the camo material, but use a much lighter coat of adhesive, let it dry and then add another light coat, and be VERY careful when applying it, so you don't get any adhesive squeezing through the material.

One more warning, spray adhesive works like contact cement, when you get both sides and let it tack up and then they stick immediately.

Obviously wrap the material itself around the back and glue it down or use the spray adhesive to secure it.

If I get my passport back from insurance I will probably write a complete tutorial on it with photo's.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was thinking about it on my way home today and i was thinkng of doing about the same thing to it, if you can do the write up for us that would be great! if not, when i can get around to doing this i will. im sure theres plenty of people like me who would like to give this a shot.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
camo just came in the mail a bit thinner than i would have liked but looks great, as soon as i can get my hands on some cans of spray paint and a can of that adhesive spray ill be on it.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Duffy said:
camo just came in the mail a bit thinner than i would have liked but looks great, as soon as i can get my hands on some cans of spray paint and a can of that adhesive spray ill be on it.
Always is, when you order something online. Seems like it rarely meets expectations. I bought a roll of Mylar a couple of years ago, was supposed to be 4 mil, but when it arrived it was a little over 3.2 mil thick. Not that big a deal, but still disappointing.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your finished product.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just picked up some adhesive spray at autozone the other day to tack down my flag on my headliner. it worked great so i figure ill use the same stuff for this project.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so im finally getting around to this. painted the door today going to go pick up some 400 grit sand paper to finish it up then i will do the upholstery,

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Cool man, the inserts should be very easy to do. I reupholstered all of the carpeted dash panels and center console in my Nissan 300zx when I had it. It came out awesome and at the time I didn't have any real experience doing that kind of stuff. After I did that I bought seat skins and re-did the leather on my seats, time consuming but still pretty easy to do.

Good choice on the 3M spray adhesive, that's what I used on the 300zx's interior panels and it still looked perfect a year later when I sold it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts