Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have calmini 3" lift installed on their pre 91 troopers? Looking to replace my stock suspension with it but could use some feed back about them first...Thanks

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
No but I'll offer my opinion about their stuff. It's very well built. Painted a nice color blue. And they charge too much for it.

I lifted mine for just a bit over 200 bucks. Shocks included.

I got a set of used Aisin hubs. $25
Made my own extended shackles. Free (time)
Pro comp add-a-leafs. $30 Summit Racing
Pro comp ES3000 shocks. $150 Summit Racing

Just a bit less than they are asking, the $789. And you still need to add manual hubs to the list of parts. Most people agree the upper a arms are a waste, the torsion bars aren't necessary, the new crossmember isn't anything different other than painted blue, and you really don't want to go through the install for the upper a-arms.

The install for this Calmini kit is rediculous, I put mine together in half the time it'd take someone to do the Calmini.

Don't get me wrong I appreicate the avalibility of such "kits" they just hurt the wallet too much. A guy had the Calmini kit on his Rodeo and all that is still on his truck is the stainless hoses (that you don't need, you aren't changing the front travel, just where in that travel it sits).

He said the shocks were crap, the springs sagged, the a-arms were a PITA to install and are going through bushings like crazy.

For my time and money I'll do the add-a-leaf, shackle, and manual hub route any day.

For some other "kits" that in my opinion have better parts see:

www.independent4x.com (Matt Brown)

www.darlington-offroad.com (Joe Darlington)

They are both Isuzu friendly and both drive/4 wheel Isuzu's. They are very knowledgable and will answer anything you need them to about your lift.

·
Registered
140 Posts
No, like bigpoppax said, all you have to do to the front end is to torque the torsion bars. That'll drop the angle of the arms, picking the truck up.

KTT

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
All the new arms supposedly do is help correct alignment after you have cranked the torsion bars to give your truck the lift in the front. We get around this by flipping the ball joints. People call it the ball joint flip, you really don't flip anything. All you really do is move the ball joint from the top of the upper a-arm to the bottom of the upper a-arm.

You can also run a spacer to correct for even more lift.

Ask away we can help you from spending too much money lifting your Zu. That's what we're here for, to help people.

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
not to take anything away from Calmini, but try darlington off road. Joe is the best, very helpful and very informed about Isuzu drive lines. He built my rear lift shackles and personally delivered them to me (hes in NC and im in NJ (660 miles). He was making a trip up this way anyway. His rodeos are NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE and he knows what hes doing. He is priced about the same as Calmini but his shipping is fair unlike Calmini wanted to change me for shackles. http://www.darlington-offroad.com

give him a shout first and see what he suggests
good luck
Ron

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for all advices you guys. I've been searching all over the internet to find best and cheapest way to lift my truck and this is helping me alot. I'm curious if any of you have 88 - 91 trooper w/ lift, where and how much you guys spent for the lift. And is suspension lift better than body lift?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Look at my first response for the answer to your last question.

I have three inches of suspension lift, spent about 200+ on it. If I was only looking for about 3" I'd definately do a suspension lift ove the body lift. The body lift will take a much longer time to install, that means unless you are going to install it yourself you'll pay big dollars for shop labor. You'd be surprised at how many shops won't even price you for a body lift.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oops sorry i thought you had rodeo....I was told body lift is cheaper but more PITA to install...I'm planning on installing it with my friend who has wranglar...might go with 2" lift from calmini for now

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Yeah, body lifts are a royal pain. If it were me, it's a no brainer to install some add-a-leaves and a shackle. Then just crank the torsion bars. You could be done in an evening easy.

A body lift you are looking at a weekend for the average shadetree. I would only put a body lift on after my options on a suspension lift were gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! If anyone can help me on this. I have a '94 isuzu tfr double cab, i have lifted the body to 4 inch and added a longer shackle in the rear as well as cranked the torsionbar a bit and put 33 inchers on em. now problem is theres a bit of a rub in front especially when turning when i have a few load, I want to crank the torsion bar a bit more but my tires looks like this \-/ when i do that. I have looked at the ball joint and looks like it has been flipped. I was thinking of getting the upper control arm from calmini but its too expensive and many of you have said it not neccesary, would the bj spacers work the same as the arm? If I can have one fabricated, how would I put it in the arm? Under or over the arm? Thanks for any reply!

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
The ball joint spacer will do what you need. To see if your ball joints have been flipped all you need to do is look at the a-arm. Is the ball joint sitting on top of the a-arm or is it under the a-arm. If it's under it's already been flipped. The spacer would go between the ball joint and the underside of the a-arm.

Of course you should have had an alignment done after you had cranked them to where thay needed to be. You may not "need" the ball joint spacer after they take out shims to correct your \-/ situation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tnx bigpoppax2! But The last time I have it aligned there were no more shims to remove. What do I do then to correct the \-/ position of the wheels? I believe the longer upper A arms of calmini or balljoint spacers will make this worse coz it will add to the positive camber, is this right?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
How much did you raise the front of the truck with the torsions? If you really cranked on them you may have to let it down some to be able to get it in alignment.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can you crank the front end 3 inches higher or do you have to do mods. I've got a stock 2000 rodeo and want to put on 265/75/16 firestone mt's. I have noticed that indy4x lift products have a rear 3 inch coil spring lift and they say just crank the front end up.

John

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Jsuzu, it all depends on what tire you want to run. Some 265/75/16's will work some will not. Most people have to trim the inner fender on the second gens to clear 265's.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Jsuzu, it all depends on what tire you want to run. Some 265/75/16's will work some will not. Most people have to trim the inner fender on the second gens to clear 265's.

What about wheel spacers? Are they safe? Do they wear on bearings and ball joints? How do you find out if they are street legal? I would love to put on 2 inch spacers. Much appreciated.

John

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Where this is making contact, wheels spacers wil actually make this worse.

Like I said you can trim the inner fender (nothing you will ever see). I have it done on my wifes Passport.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.