Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, went and replaced my front right caliper and was bleeding the brakes, and realised after i used 2 whole bottles of DOT3 that is was all going on the drive way from the rear right caliper... i dont know where it is comming from but i am having to use my moms car to get to work tonight. but i am very, very pissed right now.

i have a 2.8 l v6 with 5 speed and 290k miles.

dunlap

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok.. so after further looking after work this morning, my caliper wont come off, and when i lifted it off the pads on the hinge piece, where it isnt moving from, found rubber from the boot and then the inner piston just fell out on the ground. WOW 8 :shock: :shock: :shock: yea. big time :shock: but i got the front right done, already did the front left and then im going to check the back left when i get done.

on a side note, im going with my fiancé's father to look at a grand cherokee that has a straight 6. does anyone know anything about the jeeps with it?

thanks
dunlap

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
If the Jeep has the 4.0, which I assume it does, then it's a good motor!

And after 250k miles, I'm not surprised the calipers needed rebuilding, it's the game we play I guess!

·
Registered
129 Posts
the inline 6 is the 4.0, and it's a good motor, nearly bullet proof.

Would help to know what year it is - but common problems with the grand cherokees are the viscous coupler in the transfer case (only the NV249, not the 242) and the AC evaporator in the dash. And of course rust.

The problem with the 249 TC is that the silicone fluid in the VC with age gets too thin, and then the truck ends up being stuck in 4wd all the time.
If the shifter in the center console does NOT have a 2WD HI option, it's probably the 249 TC. If it does, it's probably the 242. the 242 is the better TC because it doesn't have the issues the 249 does.

To test the VC, drive the truck for a while (30 mins or so) and get everythign up to temp. Then get in an open parking lot and drive slow figure 8 turns. If the front end jumps and skips and hops and stuff, the VC is shot and will need replaced. The VC itself is ~ 500 and requires removal of the TC. You can swap the 249 TC for the NV242, and not have to worry about the problem, but as this is an Isuzu board, I won't get into the details. Just know that EVERY Jeep Grand Cherokee with the NV249 transfer case will eventually have this problem. It's not an if, it's a when.

As far as the AC Evap - just check and make sure the AC works, if it gets cold and doesn't smell funny, it's probably okay. What would happen is they would get wet, corrode, and leak. The AC may work just a little bit, but smell funny too. The AC evap while not too expensive (~200 last I checked) is a PITA to replace (removal of the dash and console).

Otherwise, look for rust on the underside. Shock mounts seem to rust pretty good, as well as frame rails and floor pans. Also check up near the firewall.

That's about it that I can recall that is ZJ specific. The auto tranny is okay, but the manual is way better. Check the stuff I mentioned and all the other normal stuff you would check in a used 4wd vehicle.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gotcha basic. thanks for the info on the transfer case. that is what i was looking for.. i was going to go today, but the guy dosnt want to answer his phone. so maybe tomorrow.

and it is a 92 with a straight 6. i dont know auto or 5 speed. body looked in decent shape in tho pics. will get back to yall :)

dunlap

·
Registered
129 Posts
you sure its a grand Cherokee? The Grand Cherokee didn't come out until the 1993 model year.

Also edit - they also came with the 231 transfer case. forgot about it.

The differences in TC can be seen on the shifter.

4hi/N/4lo - NV249 (stay away from)
2hi/4hi Part time/4hi/N/4lo - NV242
2hi/4hi/N/4lo - NV231

I can't remember which TC the 4.0 usually came with, but i think it was the 231 or 242. The 249 was more common on the v8 grand Cherokees.

ALSO - forgot about this one - but look for death wobble from worn steering components. You'll be able to tell while driving at highway speeds, if the wheel starts to wobble, its probably worn bushings or a bad steering dampener. A lot of people replace the dampener thinking that the problem, and it fixes the issue for a while, but the real problem is usually bushings or an bad lift.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts