Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to be buying a new Mazda3s for the wife in the next week or so.

I have located the one she wants about 80 miles away.

Is it worth my time to even drive to my local deal (5miles away) to see if they will deal with me, and see if they will do a dealer trade for the one she wants?

OR

Should I call the dealer 80 miles away to double check it is there, do a little dealing over the phone and then head down and deal some more and then drive it home?

TIA

·
Registered
546 Posts
Take it from a used to be salesman. Don't expect too much dealing over the phone. Face to face is the way to go. I suggest to go to the other dealer first, give it a test drive, learn as much as you can about the car, humor the salesman, then leave. Its cold, but, doing this will help you to aclimate yourself to the dealer with the car you want. It sounds a little cooky; but believe it or not, practice makes perfect, expecially in car sales. Think of it this way. Salesmen have a huge supply of people to practice thier tactics on. Why can't we have an infinite supply of salesmen to practice on? :twisted:

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I just bought my wife a new car. We had settled on a price before I left town. It was about 3 hours away. But I didn't get to deal very much as the car we bought is pretty rare. I did a search in a 500 mile radius and found 9.

You will do much better if you can deal face to face.

If it's a new car then the best way of getting the best price is to go to the local dealer, have them spec out a car exactly as you want it, then haggle over price and get it in writing.

Take this to the next closest dealer and hand that to them and tell them this is what I want, this is the price you need to beat to get my business. When they beat that price, take your new price tot he next closest dealer and do the same thing.

I did this when I bought my 97 F-150. I was first told that they woudln't deal at all because the new body style Fords were selling like hotcakes. Well i ended up getting my truck for 3700 under sticker price. I think I visited 7 dealers. Well worth my time.

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts