1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I've heard of one member that has gotten his buy back check, and a friend currently has his Passport at the dealer waiting for his check due to the rust issue recall on the trailing link for those vehicles in the salt belt.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
jwood1016 said:
wow all those people are pathetic....you shouldn't own a vehicle if you can't spot rust problems before it's to late....
This! And the rust has to be really bad for them to buy it back. Those people are a bunch of whiners. Cars rust, it's just a fact of life. It's preventable with washing. Every car around them is also rusting just not in the same ways. If this were actually a manufacturing flaw, my Rodeo would also be rusted out and it's not. No where near rusting. Isn't even a little bit rusting. If they want to blame someone, blame the governments that are choosing corrosive de-icers for their roads and themselves for not washing that crap off.

·
Registered
160 Posts
jwood1016 said:
wow all those people are pathetic....you shouldn't own a vehicle if you can't spot rust problems before it's to late....
You also shouldnt own a vehicle if you cant put air in your tires, and rust me, a LOT of people dont know how to put air in their tires.......sad =/

·
Registered
677 Posts
I lived most of my life (well half of it anyway) in upstate NY. Rust was a major issue that was easily controlled with a little water used each week to remove the crud from the roads. There is no excuse for anyone's vehicle rusting to the point of being unsafe. Its not that manufacturers fault that the vehicle was poorly maintained.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I agree people should take car of their car but what it comes down to is that the process in which these frames were coated was not up to the standard of other cars being manufactured at the same time. That doesnt mean I agree that they should get a hand out for their laziness but if Isuzu had taken better quality control steps, these frames would not rust as fast as they do. It's a two way street.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I don't know anything about this particular issue, but there are times when vehicles rust no matter what the owner does, those times are when compensation is in order. Like when the Chevy Vegas were rusting through the TOPS of the front fenders within a few years.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Holy moly! Those people want blood!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I didn't read any of the so called whiners, but it's more then just a lack of maintenance. If it were only a lack of washing a vehicle in the salt states, you would then have to believe Isuzu owners are the only ones that don't wash their vehicles as they are the only ones having this particular issue.
Add to that, do you really think a manufacture would have the recall if it were just due to a lack of maintenance?
I've been driving vehicles for 40 plus years (most in salty Iowa) and can say with certainty the vehicles involved in the recall have an issue with the frames and premature / severe rust in the effected area. Actually, first generation Trooper frames in my area (what few are left) rust away faster and more severely then the sheet metal does....again, poor metallurgy.
I've owned numerous cars and trucks over the years and have never felt the need to crawl under them to inspect the frame and have yet to have one fail due solely to rust. More often I've flat worn out a vehicle long before any hint of rust caused failure.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I drove my truck in the Midwest salt and I washed my frame frequently and gave it a good flush every spring. I also scrubbed and painted the surface rust on the frame as it appeared. That seemed to help because mine passed its recall inspection. Even so, I still plan to coat the inside of the frame rails soon.

I feel that course of action is a bit extreme, probably led by an ambulance chasing lawyer.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
This is nothing more than road salt and lack of proper washing. If it wasn't, all Rodeo's would be affected, not just the ones in states that use salt on the roads. I keep saying it, my Rodeo has ZERO rust. We have winter weather and we don't use salt here. This could have been prevented by owners washing off the undercarriage frequently but people don't want to do anything more than keep gas in the tank. This is like someone who never changes their oil but gets mad at the car maker when the engine blows.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
i live in connecticut, on the water and the whatever they use here for the snow is very corrosive, my trooper has no rust on it, taking pride on the stuff you own goes a long way, i wash my truck and spray with silycone at least twice an year, nothing sticks to it, people are spoiled.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Just FYI, here's a post I made in that facebook group, tell me what y'all think:

"I just have to make a suggestion to all.

First, let me say that it is possible that Isuzu's rust prevention was not on par with other manufacturers, but lets face it, all Japanese import SUV's from this era are prone to rust, some more than others. 4Runners, Pathfinders, Land Cruisers, you name it, they rust, especially in the "rust belt" due to the use of salt to obtain more traction in snow and ice.

Second, I cannot stress enough that this could have been easily prevented by 1. the manufacturer using better rust proofing, 2. YOU, the owner, should have been washing the undercarraige often enough in the first place, as detailed in YOUR instruction manual that came with the car in the first place.

Number 2 applies to any vehicle, regardless of the manufacturer's use of chemicals to reduce how often the owner has to do it. Road grime, dirt, salt, snow, you name it, traps moiseture and holds it right up against the frame and other metal parts causing rust. Once it starts, it will progress beyond the point of repair if not dealt with appropriately.

Next, there are MANY signs of this failure coming without it breaking. 1. you will more than likely start to hear squeaking frequently while going over bumps, 2. the vehicle will start to handle poorly. Neither of these, however, if paid attention to should have to substitue the thorough inspection once again, by YOU, the owner, as frequent as your regular oil changes.

I belong to a forum that regularly discusses this issue regarding this era of Isuzu truck, many of whom live in the rust belt, that do NOT have this issue due to the fact that they heed the above advice and fail to neglect their vehicles, regardless of location, or manufacturer's lack of adequate rust proofing!

Last, but certianly not least, let this be a lesson to you, the owners and oeprators of these or any vehicles, that any vehicle if neglected, whether it be via inspections, oil changes, transmisison fluid changes, or any regular mantenance, are the ultimate ones responsible for the care of YOUR vehicles, especially when it comes to something as preventable as this. Do NOT let this happen to your next vehicle, be dilligent about maintenance, check it frequently, become more familiar with your vehicle. If you take care of your cars/trucks, they will take care of you. If something happens that wasn't preventable, at least you can say that YOU did YOUR job!"

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
^Sounds legit to me.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The "conversation" continued:

Penny Jones-Grobanopoulos:
Tony, unless you have one of these rusted out vehicles and have personally experienced this perhaps YOU would be wording YOUR note differently. Yes I live in the snow belt. Yes the frame of MY truck was so rusted out GM bought it back. During the winter, I regularly wash the undercarriage of my truck to the point of obsessiveness. I also invested in Rustproofing / Undercoating. So there goes your point #2.
As for your ‘MANY’ signs of failure, nope, had none. No squeaking, handled great, so this point of YOURS doesn’t apply either to MY truck. On a side note, I am very disappointed in my mechanic since the frame was extremely rotted and over the past 2 yrs however he seemed not noticed.
So as you sit there, up on your high horse, know that I took extremely great care of my truck and because of this, GM was quite fair with their buy back offer. I did MY job to ensure my truck was well maintained. And by reading the notes of many of the other folks in this group, they did as well. By the way, my truck is sitting in the GM lot waiting to be taken to the scrap yard, along side a 2000 Rodeo with only 58,000 KM (36k miles) Owned by gentlemen who wintered in Florida and stored his truck in a garage, so the truck barely saw any snow. I’m told that this truck was in such great condition; other than the rotted out frame, that GM gave the owner a very generous buy back offer.
So I think is it fair to say that most of US did YOUR job.

about an hour ago · Like.

Tony Matthews:
Actually, I am parting out my '93 Isuzu for rusting issues, so I am where you guys are, the only difference is, I'm not going to the company, because it's not necessarily part of a recall, and the PO should have taken better care of it. Your mechanic should have caught it, and so should you have. It would have only took a minute of looking under the truck to see the oncoming issue.

Regardless, I think you are missing the main point of my post, to ensure this does not happen to your future vehicle. Look frequently, take pride and more care in your vehicle, and don't always depend on other people to do their job correctly.

If youa re operating a motor vehicle that takes others' lives in its and your hands whenever it's driven, it too is your responsibility to ensure its safety and ability to carry out its purpose.

Tony Matthews:
‎~~

And to be clear, I am not a mechanic, only someone who is very familiar with vehicles. I am not saying that the rust would not have started if the vehicle owner was more dilligent about washing the undercarriage, I am merely saying that it would have been spotted and have been much more able to rectify to the tune of avoiding the scrapping of the entire vehicle if the owner were more knowledgeable and adament about preventative maintenance and inspections.

Cheryl Wiley: Let me just say that I bought mine used, meaning that I had no control over how the former owner upkept it.Also, there would not have been a recall issued had Isuzu/Honda not been at fault.

36 minutes ago · Like.

Tony Matthews: Cheryl, that may be true, it all depends on how long you've owned it, if either owner checked it, and so on. There are way too many variables to condiser and I'm sure you'll never make the mistake of failing to check before you buy a vehicle again.

Again, please do not fail to understand what I mean by all of this. I am simply stating the facts and duties of ownership, never once did I say it was not the manufacturer's fault (even partially). They most certainly could have used better proofing for rust, BUT, whether they ised adequate prevention of rust or not, it does NOT let the owner and operator of the vehicle off of the hook for inspecting for possible issues.

The manufacturer(s) are surely only taking the path of least resistance as any company would (not saying it's right or not). I'm sure Honda will be subrogating their payout costs form Isuzu (who mainly produces commercial trucks now), and will wash their hands of any publicity associated with this "recall".

Once again, to reinforce my original meaning, would everyone just PLEASE take this as a lesson to be learned and count your blessings that the manufacturer(s) involved are doing something to take care of the issue, regardless of where the "blame" is to be had.

a few seconds ago · Like

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
well she said "mechanic", not automotive technician so its her fault for not taking it to some one who has better understanding in the automotive field :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.