Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the continuing (mis)adventures of "My Ride", a '93 Rodeo I met with 207K miles and cost me $1500. He seems to have had a good life, not over worked or to badly banged up. I can tell he's had a finder, grill and bumper replaced, but doors and hood are original and the frame is good, if coated with a light layer of rust.

This will probably be less spectacular that many threads. Buster won't be getting a lift kit or turbo. He won't be climbing any 80 degree hills or (intentionally) fording a river. What he will be doing is getting me back and forth to work, hauling the kids to there activities, hopefully going camping, and hopefully living to see antique plates.

I will chronicle some of the repairs (upgrades?) that happen and how the inevitable problems that arise get solved. I'll probably only post every few months, but I'll try to have lots of pics and details about what's happened lately (most recent was fixing the backup lights).

And so..the adventure goes on!

I introduced myself in this thread, but I'll recap some of what's happened in our first few weeks together.

I bought Buster on Saturday. And on Sunday, this happened:

noon:

4pm:

Well, Monday morning we would see if Buster was up to the challenge...getting off the street! This was Sunday, but by Monday there was a layer of ice and about 3" of snow on the road

He did it and made the trip three times that day.

Well, the snow thawed and the more mundane things in life took over...like my job. My company moved offices last month, so it was time to put Buster to work hauling "stuff". If anyone ever asks you how many 22" LCD monitors a Rodeo can carry, the answer is "more than 22":

Nether rain, nor sleet, nor the dead of night kept Buster from his appointed rounds:

I'll stop here for now. Oh, but here's whats on the "to do" list:

-Replace Oil pressure sender/short (it's pegging)
-Replace spare tire (I think it's the original spare :shock: )
-Clean interior. And the exterior that that matter.
-Troubleshoot fuel system. Leaking fuel somewhere and its hard to start when system is warm.
-Fix backup lights
-CB and some other comm related mods.
-Replace front-left corner light and some grill retaining clips.
-Replace shocks and spring bushings
-Clean surface rust and apply under coating.
-Repaint rims and find and replacement hubcap and a few lug nuts.
-Maybe fix paint on the driver front fender.

In my next post I will recap fixing the backup lights, oil pressure sender and the surprise I found under the front seat. :wink:

·
Registered
4,646 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Our group has a habit of focusing on a lot of 4wheeling. It's nice to see a thread simply in appreciation and documentation of what a great workhorse the rodeo (and any isuzu truck) really is. These trucks dont need a bunch of mods to be great. They are simply wonderfully designed vehicles that get you where you need to go when you need to get there.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picking up where we left off...

There I was totally surrounded...oh, wait, wrong forum....ok..

Well last weekend I was able to have some down time and as the weather was nice, I took Buster to the car wash and hosed him off. Got him cleaned off just in time to get a call from my daughter asking me to come pick her up at a friends house. This friend lives on a dirt road, of coarse. Oh well, this won't be the last washing. I did give it the clay bar treatment and waxed the hood and front finders with Mothers cleaning wax. I typically try to wax at least one panel every washing and after I give it the once over with Mothers, I'll switch to straight Carnuba.

Anyway, after the wash, I went to pick up my daughter. While trying to back out I realized I couldn't see and that the backup lights weren't working. So Sunday afternoon I set to it. First I checked bulbs. One was blown, but the other looked fine. So I had my oldest and soon-to-be-terrorizing-the-highways son shift back and forth between Park and Neutral. With each pass there was a faint blink, which points straight to the switch: off with the console!

The console is held in place with 4 easily accessible screws, but you will first need to take the handles off the shifters. The 4WD shift knob just turns, but the Automatic is held in place by 3 screws. With the screws removed the handle just slips off, but the shift button will come apart once it's removed, so take it slowly.

With the handles and screws removed and the console just lifts up and off. In my case revealing a mess of fried food crumbs, keys, $0.35, and thin layer of crud.

Oh, and there is the switch we're looking for!

Well after collecting the debris and a quick vac and wipe down, I went to work on the switch with some WD-40 on a toothbrush.

That did the trick - working backup lights! Since I had the console and parts off, I took the arm rest off as well and gave the whole area a good cleaning. A little Dawn and a sponge did wonders for the plastics and cleaned the grunge from so many years of dirty hands off the shifter.

Oh and then there was the surprise I found under the seat:

Every truck needs to come with a new spare fuel filter!

While I was feeling ambitious, I replaced the oil pressure sender, which had gone from pegging to nothing after I unhooked it for an inspection. I'll probably pick up the gauge sender later this summer, but for the moment, a $7 fix trumps a $120 fix. Other parts of Buster need that $114 first. Located right behind the oil filter, a 7mm wrench will have the gauge sender off in moments. NOTE: unless you don't mind a small puddle of oil, have an oil pan handy as it you will lose a little during the swap. If you can change an oil filter, you can change this part.

The old gauge sender looked like it got knocked pretty good and was missing the wire, so I know can see why it wasn't being used.

After all that, I went back to "zone" cleaning while I inspected for leaks, rust, and other issues lurking under the hood. It's pretty easy to tell what is recent and what is closer to original due to the film on some surfaces and lack of on others. Of coarse I hope when I'm done it will be harder to tell what's new and what's old, but for now its pretty easy to see what I've cleaned:

Well that's about where it stands for the moment. I did pick up a set of floor mats from Wally World and Busters title showed up in the mail today. The one measured tank of gas showed 10mpg :shock: Well I always wanted a Landcruiser FJ60 and now I've got an UV that gets the mileage of one. But that was during a snow and ice event and almost entirely sub-40mph driving around the hilly streets in town. I'm hoping for something closer to 15 on the next fill up.

Hopefully I'll be back to a 40hr work week before long a have some more time to dig into the deeper projects.

Here's the revised to-do list in no particular order:
-Clean interior. And the exterior that that matter.
-Troubleshoot fuel system. Leaking fuel somewhere and its hard to start when system is warm.
-Replace spare tire (I think it's the original spare Shocked )
-CB and some other comm related mods.
-Replace front-left corner light and some grill retaining clips.
-Replace shocks and spring bushings
-Clean surface rust and apply under coating.
-Repaint rims and find and replacement hubcap and a few lug nuts.
-Maybe fix paint on the driver front fender.
-Driver's window is pretty tough to raise and lower. Like most things, probably need cleaned and greased.
-Replace the worn out "Beep Beep" horn with something with a little more...spunk.
-Replace Oil pressure sender/short (it's pegging)

Final thought: I got the hazard lights working again tonight on the way home. I discovered a few days ago they didn't work. I turned the switch on and off about 15 times quickly and it started to respond. I'll need to take it off and clean it. I've found most of the switches and contacts on older Japanese vehicles need cleaned after 10 years. I had an 88 Supra that had tons of electrical gremlins when i purchased it, but were quickly fixed with contact cleaner and a brisk unplug/plugin treatment. I start with WD-40 and if the problem resurfaces after the two week evaporation period, I hit it with Caig Pro Gold contact cleaner.

Later.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
AudioRedneck said:
If anyone ever asks you how many 22" LCD monitors a Rodeo can carry, the answer is "more than 22":
How much to let one of those monitors fall out of your truck and into the mail, headed my direction ?

;)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Selador said:
How much to let one of those monitors fall out of your truck and into the mail, headed my direction ?

;)
Heh Heh, $139 at Newegg.com:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ... 600030155 4017 600030626&IsNodeId=1&name=22"

I've got about 40 of these in our office. I actually like the ASUS better (I have two on my desk at work), but for office use my staff have been really happy with the Acers. I'm hoping to switch to LED backlit units before the end of the year. I budget $200 per screen and by the best I can get for that price. The lower price on the monitors has let me purchase slightly faster PCs for the past few months.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Selador said:
Probably around $90-$130! :)

Nice Rodeo AudioRedneck!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear....or was it this morning? Anyway, we got more snow today, a lot more snow. Now I work for a medical facility and we have to be open regardless of the weather. I'm on the business end, so I can get by with being late, but I.T. has to be available, so I still needed to go in.

The clinic opens at 6, but I didn't need to be in until 9. I wanted to wait until the worst part of winter weather had passed: the morning rush. We had about an inch when Buster and I got there...

By 10am it was coming down pretty heavily. Much of our staff will be spending the night at the hotel next door.

Days like this few felt like cold sack lunches, to the idea of a hot lunch came up. As the staff was short-handed, I volunteered to pickup lunch. Most of the business staff had called in so I didn't have too many fires keeping me tied to the office. At 11:30 I headed out. We had about 3inces by this point judging by the depth of Buster's tires.

This was Central Ave at 11:40am. That's West Mountain in the background that you don't see.

The first stop was the store. My kids called and said we were out of marshmallows. So I ran in for a couple bags and picked up some peanut butter and crackers while I was at it. (My office junk-food stash was running low.) The store was actually pretty busy.

10 minutes later I came out, Buster's windshield had close to an inch on it:

Traffic was moving slowly, but because this was a nice powder, traction wasn't too bad. The hills are still very difficult, but the main roads were manageable.

Finally arrive at our destination. Needless to say, I was on good terms with the clinic staff today. And thanks to the unit supervisor for buying us all lunch. And while most days I wouldn't have used this parking spot, I didn't think I was likely to be inconvenience someone that really needed it.

Snow finally stared to let up around 2:30pm. What was going to be a light day at work turned out to be a full day. At this point I'd just like to say that 200,000miles or not, 4 wheel drive is wonderful!

Well, that's all for now. Hope those of you in the path of this storm are staying warm.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I like Buster. He reminds me of my non-lifted non-modded Rodeo :D

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This week: Buster saves the environment!

It's been a quiet week or so for Buster. The weather's turned nice and works stayed busy. It's mainly been trips to the office and home, but he did do his part for the environment. First he helped clean out an office of the last of it's computer equipment.

However, he wasn't able to do anything about the bats that had moved in shortly after we moved out of that space. I guess they'll have to stay.

With his back seat folded down he managed a trip to Office Depot to recycle some toner and a trip to the Hot Springs Recycling Center where he delivered 4 PCs, 2 CRTs, 2 LCDs, 2 VCRs, 4 boxes of misc computer boards and pieces, and 3 water damaged cases of paper.

A few days later he took 4 boxes of misc parts, 3 flatbed scanners, a rack mount pc and some computer speakers to the house of a gentlemen that bought him his next two tanks of gas and some fuel line.

Of coarse, I don't think Buster's motives are entirely selfless. A few more trips and he may have a home in the garage. We'll have to see how it goes.

He's been running well enough, though I'm sure the shocks and bushings will need to be address before too long. I'm thinking I'll loan him a portion of my tax return for some P.M. He biggest problem has been rough starting when he's warm. I'm thinking it's the fuel filter, the carbon/vapor canistor or something related. But I'll save that for the next installment.

Tune in next time when Buster get's his fuel filter changed! (lots of pics!)

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
AudioRedneck said:
First he helped clean out an office of the last of it's computer equipment.
How much you want for that dish ?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Selador said:
How much you want for that dish ?
Actually, I was planning to try to sell the set. I'm not sure yet. PM me and talk about it with you.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
AudioRedneck said:
Actually, I was planning to try to sell the set.
Set ?

Not really serious about buying. I was just curious.

:D

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm a computer geek and one of the things I do is wireless bridges between buildings. I just upgraded my company's main link and added a second one. These dishes were off the old one.

Shameless plug: If anybody in Arkansas needs to bridge a couple buildings cheap, let me know. :D

Hey...maybe I should mount it on Buster?!?! Hmm....

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
AudioRedneck said:
Hey...maybe I should mount it on Buster?!?! Hmm....
Make it into a beam weapon !!

A year ago, I would actually have been serious about buying the dish.

My current broadband is wireless. G3. Cell phone based broadband. It is the only broadband available here. I can't get satellite. There is no cable. There is no dsl.

I was having a lot of problems with the connection. So I was thinking about getting a parabolic grid.

Connection is pretty good now. (Knock on wood.)

And DSL is going to be available here, in a few months.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I finally got a day off last week so I decided to make the most of it and change out the fuel filter on Buster. I'd been having some trouble starting when he was warm, but cold he fires right up.

I'd picked up 18" fuel line the night before and my fuel tank was getting low enough that I knew I could drain the gas tank into gas cans if needed.

So, if you haven't done one on a Rodeo, here's how I did it -

For starters, the fuel filter is located along the passenger side frame rail slightly forward of the back wheel.

Here is the tools I use: Safety glasses, "Handy Cutters", screw driver, and a few led flashlights. I also had a 1/2gal and 5gal gas can and some speed clamps.

Oh, and a 9mm wrench...

It also helps to have an extra set of hands to...."hand" you tools. :D

First thing I did was clamp off the lines. As I was going to replace them, I wasn't worried about damaging them so I used the clamps to close them off.

Next I unbolted the filter from it's bracket and unscrewed the clamps on the filter. Then I started to remove the tank side hose from the filter. I had the 1/2gal can close by so that I could drain the fuel system into the can. As I started to loosen the hose from the filter, I wrapped a paper towel around the them to absorb gas as it started to drip. Once I got the hose detached I held the paper towel over the filter end and moved the filter forward until I could slide it out of the bracket and pour the gas into the can (NOTE: Just as was I doing this, I started getting phone calls about a power outage at my office building, so I don't have many pictures from this point as my oldest son was using my phone to txt messages for me, but I did get a shot of draining the fuel line)

(So 45 minutes and a few phone calls later, I'm back under Buster, flashlight in hand...)

With the filter in the can, release the clamp and you get about a pint of fuel. Once the fuel line is empty, remove the front hose and filter. I wasn't sure how much fuel I'd get from the tank side, but it turn out to be only a few ounces. (as I noted above I did this with the tank on about 1/8 or less of a tank.) With the rear hose in the can, I released the rear clamp and drained.

So with that done, I asked my son to open the garage door and let it air out for a moment. POW! SLAM! BOING! The cable connecting the garage door to the lift spring decided to snap. thankfully, it didn't go near my kids and missed Buster too. It's going to be a long night....

Anyway, I took the old hoses off and cut new ones the same length (actually about 1/4inch longer) than the old ones. I attached them to the filter and slid the clamps back on. Slide the filter back into the bracket, clamp down, attach hoses to the fuel lines and clamp them down.

That's it. I then washed my hands, then turned the key to the on position, but didn't start Buster until I heard the fuel pump stop pressurizing. Buster started right up and ran fine - YAY!!

Follow up...

It's been a few days now and I've watched for fuel leaks but so far so good. And from what my gas gauge is telling me, I'm getting a bump in economy - I'll know fill up again this weekend probably. It still is slow starting when warm, but I think its better and I don't have nearly as bad of a smell of gas fumes when I park it. I will probably look at the hoses further up the fuel system and the EGR Valve next.

Until next time - ******* Out.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The weather been nicer last week and Buster's been running well enough I figured it was time to start detailing him. It will take a few attempts to really get it right, but but Buster's looking better. He looks pretty good in most of the pics I take, but they usually leave off enough detail to make him look better than he really does in person.

We've been back to the car wash a couple times in the last couple weeks. The first time was to hose down the engine and underneath. I've got something leaking just a little and I'm trying to figure out where it is.

Then Monday afternoon, one of my sons helped me go over the interior with the shop vac. I had planned to give it a once over with a carpet cleaner, but the motor our cleaner burned up this week so that will have to wait a while. But the vac'ing itself did a lot of good. I find I'm getting old enough that cleaning is therapeutic and despite all the little flaws, Buster cleans up nicely. Who knows, he might just turn out to be my mid-life crisis :D (Unless I can find a good used '87 Jaguar XJ6)

I had notice that the dome light seemed a little dim so I removed the cover to inspect the bulb and quickly realized that the cover had a film on the inside that need the toothbrush/dishsoap treatment. BIG difference in cabin light now.

Tuesday it was back to the carwash. We had had a "dirty" rain that left everything covered in mud spots. I don't like carwash brushes, so I took my sponge with me and wiped him down good while spraying. Later, when we got back to the garage, I went over some of his panels with Mothers Quick Detailer and clay bar. I had used some cleaner wax few weeks ago, but as usual, it left some white residue. So after the claybar and a rinse I hit the hood and passenger side with strait carnuba wax.

I figure to work on the driver's side next week, but I try to wax at least one panel per month/washing. I almost always end up doing more than I planned so overall it gets done more often than if I tried to do a full out detail every month. (you young single guys can enjoy that task).

I gave the tires and air dam a treatment of diluted armor all. I don't like a heavy shine on rubber and plastic and Armor-all diluted to about 50% darkens up these materials but doesn't make them look like they are coated in my daughter's lip gloss.

I also took the plastic cover off of the lower parking lights and cleaned those out. That brightened them up some. Before and after side by sides:

On a followup note, we put new cables on the garage door and are replacing some of the hardware on the other door. I still need to get a replacement gear kit for the motor for the opener on the one side and a couple parts for the other side. And if I can get some more junk disposed of, we just might have Buster sleeping in the garage before long.

And, for no reason in particular, I'll finish this post with Busters current "gear": a faux milk crate holding a gear bag with jumper cables, screw drivers, first aid kit, couple of towels, and a rain poncho; a bag of computer accessories; in the back seat a fire extinguisher that I hope to never have to use and sunshield; under the front seat a squeegee and ice scraper (which have both seen a lot of use the past few months);

and in the console my "no-officer-it's-not-a-detonator-for-an-explosive-device" garage door opener. :shock:

The opener fell apart long ago, so I went to Radio Shack and put it back together in a little case with a nice big button on top.

And with that, I'll bid you good night until next time...

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I just read your thread - are you serious - only 3" of snow and staff were staying at a hotel? Eeeeeeeesh.... 3" is nothing more than a little dusting!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts