Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought at first is was the battery, but it's not behaving like other dead batteries.

Turn the key on and meter shows 12v. All electronics work. I turn all electronics off, hit the starter, hear starter engage and CLICK - nothing. Everything is dead at this point - lights, radio, dash, everything. Put headlights in ON position and after 30-45 seconds, CLICK they come on and all electrical works. Battery tester shows battery around 13v. Re-arranged a few relays and exact same thing. No blown fuses that I can see. Acts like a circuit breaker of some kind.

Any ideas "o great oracle of all things Isuzu"?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
So the starter is NOT turning the motor over? It's only clicking?

Have you banged it a couple time with a hammer to see if the it improves or changes?

My VW did the exact same thing once and it turned out to be an invisible line of corrosion between the contacts of the positive battery clamp and the hot lead that goes to the starter. I was getting juice to everything even the starter (enough to make it click) but not enough to turn the starter over.

Other than that, an alt that's going south can cause all kinds of goofy symptoms. Might be worth testing it after you rule out a couple other possibilities.

btw, I am no oracle but we are in the company of some :D Someone else will surely have some ideas as well.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a split second, the starter tries to turn, then nothing. Not even the normal tick-tick-tick of dead battery trying to turn the starter. Anything that uses DC is dead including the dome light. If I take a meter to the battery, it shows 12v or more.

It's like a circuit breaker has tripped. 40-60sec later everything electrical starts working again. Lights aren't dim, dash vu shows 12v or more.

-Morning is cool so batter's not over heated.
-no blown fuses.
-swapped a couple relays related to the ECM and Fuel
-turned everything off that doesn't need to be on for starting

I'm going to have a company car tonight so I can pull the battery and take it to have it checked out, but I think its elsewhere.

Could my starter be bad and when I try to start it turns everything off, then hangs in the "I can't start" mode?

·
Registered
677 Posts
It could well be a bad starter. Sounds just like mine did when the starter went south.

Pull the starter and have it checked. If its bad, don't buy the expensive rebuilt replacement. Do this instead:

http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/densoparts.html#e57

You can get the repair kit for under $100.00 which beats the $300.00 price of a new/rebuilt unit.

It could also be a dead cell in the battery. Everything else will work fine until you hit the starter. Then everything dies cause the starter is demanding more amps than the battery has. Try putting a multimeter on the battery and taking readings first with everything turned off, them start turning stuff on and see how the readings change. If it drops below 12 volts with the lights, radio, and heater blower running, its either a bad battery or bad wires from the battery.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
check all your starter and battery connection 1st.even the slightest corrosion or loose connection can cause failure to start.then take it from there 8) recon

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
My normal response of solenoid contacts, maybe doesn't apply here. Sounds like you have a bad ground or bad battery cable. Clean the battery terminals thoroughly and check any ground straps.

·
Registered
555 Posts
CatFuzz said:
My normal response of solenoid contacts, maybe doesn't apply here. Sounds like you have a bad ground or bad battery cable. Clean the battery terminals thoroughly and check any ground straps.
Thats exactly my thought. There is a bad contact somewhere,probably at teh battery terminals. It has a relatively high resistance and when you try to start it,the voltage drop across it is proportional to the current,if any appreciable current flows the voltage drops to nill,and nothing works. That spot probably gets really hot too. Ive seen terminals melt because of that.

Things to check: Check with a voltmeter ON the battery itself. What you SHOULD see is the battery voltage remain good when it tries to start. Now check from the positive terminal of the battery (ON the battery) to the negative terminal (the part on the cable). Then to the chassis or engine block. Now you know you have a good ground. Now go the other way,moving down the wires from the positive terminal until you find where it goes dead when you turn the key. If you can verify that power is reaching the starter,then its probably a bad starter.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DING DING DING!

And the winner is!: bad cell on the battery. Voltage was good under a light load but CCAs were next to nothing.

When I got home from work, the same thing was happening: start, rrr- then no electrical for 60 seconds. Still showed 12-13v. Got my wife's jumper pack, and even though it didn't have enough boost to start it, it did have enough to get the normal rrr-rrr-rrr-click-click-click of a low/weak battery.

The only thing I can figure is that the circuit that directs all power to the starter during starting was locking in "start" position.

Learn something new every day. Thanks again for your help.

Oh, and I replaced the size 24 battery with a size 27. I would have gone with an RV battery but Buster needs money spent elsewhere at the moment.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Glad you figured it out. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Glad you figured it out. :cheers:
Ditto dat

For those who may have these symptoms also check the alternator. I had mine freeze up from a bad bearing. Acted just as you described tried to start but didn't have enough umph to turn the motor cuz of the belt drag on the Alt pulley. When I did get it to start by jumping it that belt started smoking from the friction. :shock: It got so hot that after I quickly shut it down the belt melted off the pulley.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had the same problem with my truck. Same symptoms same everything. It was really confusing the hell out of me. I took off my starter, took off my alternator, ripped apart my electrical system and dash, checked the battery, and it seemed fine. Thanks for the post. I went and got a new battery today, end of the problems. *Knock on wood*. I appreciate it very much guys. Now if I could just get my damn CE light to stay off, I'll be set.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts