Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I get the dash apart to replace the burnt out bulbs in it ? I will replace all of them. 1996 Rodeo. Also with the stearing wheel tilt locked there is a little up and down play in it. Is there any way to take this play out?

Is the alternator on this car a G.M. alt or is it a Isuzu item? Does anyone know if a G.M. one will work?

If someone has already written a answer to the dash light question, please tell me how to access it. Thanks to all Mike Hankins

PS When I put the 4 wheel drive lever in to 4 wheel high or low does it put the transfer case in to 4 wheel high or low mechanicaly? My vacuum motor does not pull the hubs in. I thought I would put mechanical lock outs on, if the transfer case worked mechanicaly.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
The lever does put the t-case into 4wd, but the vacuum disconnect isn't going to be bypassed by installing some manual hubs. The disconnect is on the front axle, which you can find by looking about 6" from the oil filter (more torward the driver's side).

The alternator is not likely going to match a GM alternator, but you should be able to do something semi-custom like this:
http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/99

Best I can say about the steering wheel tilt is to check and make sure that the bolts that hold the column up against the metal support in the dash are tight.

-Tad

·
Registered
566 Posts
To get the dash apart, you can pretty much figure it out by looking at it. You need to take out the lower panel at your knees first then the whole upper panel that goes over around the radio and hvac. There are a buncha of screws and plastic clips. Once you get the screws out just pull it a bit and the fasteners will pop out. Then I believe there are a couple screws around the edges of the gauges, take them out then pull the whole gauge panel out and replace those bulbs. I replaced mine with red ones from advance auto, looks much better than green. Smiley, on 4x4wire, put up a little write up about installing reverse glow gauges on his 97, there might be some helpful pictures in there. HTH

Mike
________
Bmw R850R

·
Registered
6 Posts
yea i had a 94 pup i replaced mine from green to red too it is a lot better if your going to replace them u might as well make it a little bit more custom and change the colors they also had chrome colored lights there too at auto zone there called peanut bulbs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.