Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Burning smell and developing noice in transmission

701 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  andrerussian123 
#1 ·
Hi guys, yesterday I got my 89 trooper back from my mechanic. I drove it a couple hundred miles back (Reno to sac) and in that time I noticed a few things which have me concerned. To start off my mechanic only worked on the engine and drove it 10 miles around town, never on the freeway. Which is what makes me think this is a trans issue. When I first got on the freeway it stated smoking a bunch, I though maybe it’s just getting warmed up for the first time and burning off a bunch of fluids. Although I noticed a continued burning smell it drove good for about half the trip. Then whatever was burning started smelling real bad to the point that sometimes it was burning my nose and eyes so bad I had to put my face by the window. Smell would get much worse in 5th gear going up hill and the floor got really hot to the touch. Most times I was crawling up a hill 45mph in 3-4 gear. Within the last 40 minutes the trans started making almost like a scraping sound as if it were diesel. I got down under it at home and noticed a lot of oil was leakin all over. Any ideas what could be going? Did I just **** the trans? I’ll be looking at it tonight right after work, any knowledge would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Sounds like you have a tranny leak and then driving it with no oil caused it to overheat. I would fill it back up with oil (10W-30) and drive it and see if the noise returns. It sounds like it may have run to long without oil, but it would be worth a try. If the noise doesn't return, you still have to find and fix the leak before you drive any distance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.