Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2001 trooper. I have read all about the oil burning issues. I thought this problem was fixed on later model 2000's. When I bought it the oil was full. I filled it up with gas. I drove it back and fourth to work and on the freeway a couple of times. I still have a quarter tank of gas but the oil reads add ( below the bottom dipstick hole. I anm sure glad I caught it. Here’s my question, could I have one that the cylinder bore was to big for the rings?

·
Registered
92 Posts
My '01 will use a little (abouty a half a qt) between 3k oil changes. It uses it a bit quicker if I go beyond 3k.

I have used Mobil 1 (10W-30) exclusively since it's first oil change at 700 miles. If I were you I would go with a good synthetic oil, check it fairly regularly, change it every 3k, and see if your oil consumption decreases.

Often times oil consumption is exacerbated by lack of regular oil changes and synthetics can help clean the oil rings and drain holes up.

No matter what I would not lose any sleep over it. My '96 Trooper used a qt every 1000 like clock work. I drove the heck out of it until I bought my current '01 and it never hiccuped once. These are great trucks that will really go the distance if cared for. So far I have put over 200,000 on two Troopers without incident (drove my current one to Alaska and back).

If they still made them I wouldn't hestate at buying another. 8)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
As I mentioned before I recommend useing Mobil 1 Truck and Suv oil.

Seems that the Diesel rated oils (GI/L 4) help with the oil buring
according to some people here.

I was going thru about 3/4 quart every 3k. Now it is less than 1/4 quart.
I have almost 40K.

·
Registered
564 Posts
DirtDog, to answer your stated question, as far as I know, there isn't a way to know if your engine is overbored for the size of the pistons that are installed, but I would guess that this is a very rare instance. However, your reported oil consumption of 1 quart in, I'm guessing here, 200 miles, seems excessive to me. There are some things that would likely help drop that number to a much more reasonable level, or possibly eliminate your oil burning all together, and most are not very difficult to do:

1) replace the air cleaner element with a good quality replacement (OEM paper being my personal recommendation)
2) Replace the PCV valve and grommet (careful removing the grommet! It can rip in half and drop part into your valvetrain!)
3) Clean your EGR valve and EGR passage
4) Replace the engine oil and filter
5) Use an oil treatment (I personally have experience with the Auto-RX product and recommend it wholeheartedly for Isuzu oil burning issues)
6) Perform the seafoam "cylinder soak"
7) Switch to a different brand and weight of oil (some recommend synthetics @ 0W30 or 5W30, some recommend heavier dino oil that's designed for diesel motors like Shell Rotella 15W40)

Also, I believe the "fix" for the oil consumption issues that a lot of the 98+-mid 2k1 Isuzu DOHC motors have happened in the middle of the 2001 production run. You can check to see if you have one of the updated motors by inspecting your PCV valve. If it has a hexagonal body and screws in to the valve cover, yours is the updated motor with enlarged and increased oil drain back holes in the pistons. If the PCV valve pops into a rubber grommet in the valve cover, it's the older design.

Best of luck with your new acquisition!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.