Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both my bump stops are gone on the rear of my 94 Trooper -- the replacements cost $31 each. I've just spent over $200 on brake work and am finding myself a little short on cash -- does any one have any ideas on alternatives to bump stops??? Something cheap I can rig up there that will do the same job??? Maybe even a cheaper source of the parts (I got the quote from St. Charles Isuzu)???

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
That's probably the cheapest source for OEM bump stops, but honestly and hung of material will do the job. I might be inclined to find some kind of suspension bushing or pad at the parts store and bolt or zip-tie it on.

I have seen two really ghetto setups though: One was a crushed beer can duct taped to the frame (Hey, it does compress a little). The other was some kind of soft wood screwed to the frame.

I'd recommend anything over those two alternatives however. Something around 1.5" tall and rubber would be a good choice.

For the 94 Trooper with stock suspension, there is one thing to keep in mind: At rest the bump stops touch the axle. They are about 3.5" tall have holes cast into them that allows the rubber to compress as the suspension cycles. So the bump stops are actually part of the suspension. If you were to get some OME (or other) 1.5" lift springs, this lifts the truck off of the bump stops. So a hard rubber bump stop should be shorter than the stock Isuzu bump stop which has holes so that it compresses.

-Tad

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.