Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to an old friend yesterday and showed him my Passport, he knew the Rodeos are the same so he said, if you are going to lift it, why not use the Ford Bronco Leafs? He said his friend got a 3 inch lift out of them and it firmed up the back. Anyone heard of this? I am going to email him and find out which Bronco year he was talking about and get some more details. Thought someone might like to try it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,076 Posts
Its very possible. But would it be cheaper than a new set of OME springs? Also you don't want a spring with a huge arc. They don't ride very nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
betterthanyou said:
Its very possible. But would it be cheaper than a new set of OME springs? Also you don't want a spring with a huge arc. They don't ride very nice.
Yeah huge arc not so much fun but if they would be decent and you can get them from a junkyard for 80 bucks I think it would be worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
is he talking the full size bronco or the bronco 2 the full size would be a ruff ride like putting 1 ton suspension on a 1/2 truck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,076 Posts
Not so sure I would be looking for junkyard springs. Simply because they would show the same signs of wear as your stock springs. Leaf springs generate a lot of friction and do wear out faster than coil spring. Having plastic friction discs between the springs greatly increases their life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
betterthanyou said:
Not so sure I would be looking for junkyard springs. Simply because they would show the same signs of wear as your stock springs. Leaf springs generate a lot of friction and do wear out faster than coil spring. Having plastic friction discs between the springs greatly increases their life.
Cleaning & painting & adding discs to 'old springs' of a heavier truck would still be an improvement to a lighter rig & cheaper then a new higher spring-rate kit for the proper application though. I like the idea of friction discs, had never thought of that, would smooth out ride & binding on deep articulation.

~psguardian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,284 Posts
psguardian said:
Cleaning & painting & adding discs to 'old springs' of a heavier truck would still be an improvement to a lighter rig & cheaper then a new higher spring-rate kit for the proper application though. I like the idea of friction discs, had never thought of that, would smooth out ride & binding on deep articulation.

~psguardian
Where to get the disks and how to keep them in place, is the question...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,284 Posts
psguardian said:
Im thinking they have a hole to take the center pin & are long enough to be held in by the leaf pack clamps.

~psguardian
Sounds expensive, to me.

Think I'll just take the pack apart and sand them, and then squirt some grease in there before I put it back together.

I am going to add a leaf or two from another pack.

All this, of course, is probably months away, in my case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
Na, Teflon Leaf Spring Pads are dirt cheap. (I just went searching) I found that most spring shops have em, some guys try to say that they only fit 'their springs'. but most places will cut a sheet of teflon empregnated high impact plastic to your dimensions for like $1-$5 a strip. They go at the ends where the rub & squeal happens.

~psguardian
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top