Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 Isuzu Amigo

Was trying to torsion bar lift the front and the adjustment bolt just exploded. Does anyone know where to find new ones. Measurements 18mm x 1.5P. Isuzu dealerships dont carry anymore. hardwares stores dont have anything that big!

Daily driver....need help!

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Try a Honda dealer? Just a thought. Someone confirm if the bolt is
the same as on a Honda Passport.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I'd just get one at a boneyard...pretty much all Isuzus use the same bolt there.

BTW you should consider re-indexing the torsion bar before cranking too far on a bolt that is maxed out...I am guessing that is what happened, or maybe just rust.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
As the other Big said they are all the same, a bone yard would be the best bet. Shouldn't cost much at all.

Why did it break?

Joe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There looks like there is a cold spot in the center of the bolt when it was forged. It happened when i first started cranking the bolt. I got about a half turn nice and easy .... then a load bang and the truck came falling at my face. Havent moved the fast in awile(to get out from under it) Scared the Sh** out of my gf standing right next the truck. A dealership found a new part # for it and it looks like they are gonna set me back 50 bones. Oh well better in the garage than happening on the freeway.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I believe the tension should have been released before you crank the
bolt. At least that is what was suggested to me.

You should of had it on jacks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just know it was way too easy. I was like "everyone said this bolt would probably be frozen" and then SNAP, BANG, BOOM. LOL

·
Registered
46 Posts
Memory says same, that it should be on jacks while adjustin(would have to dig out shop manual to be sure).

Junkyard should ahve parts, should be pretty cheap. was 30 or less for mine(including height adjustment arm, and nut piece it screws into). went over railroad tracks just wright(or wrong, rather) and came down on height adjsutment arm, bent arm, and torqued hell out of bolt. Bolt snapped later on way home. Could see imprint in arm where threads of bolt dented into inside of it.

Your shop manual should also indicate proper places to measure to check how it affects alignment. you obviously aren't going for standard settings, but knowing proper way to measure for it can help make sure you keep each side torqued up by same amount.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I have adjusted my Troopers (old 99 and now my 93) lots of times without being on jacks. Taking the tension off makes it a little easier to turn, but that's all...

·
Registered
825 Posts
weird.. i've adjusted mine many times (especially for final adjustments) without being on jack stands... never had a problem.. and my bolts have been in and out a few times now..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts