Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was removing the L/H side (drivers side) valve cover to replace gasket and spark plug tube seals, I broke the stud while trying to remove the nut.
There is about 1/4" of the broken stud sticking out from the manifold. Will just the other bolt be good enough to hold the tube in place or should I try to remove/replace stud? Tried grabbing the 1/4" section with a vise grips but at a weird angle and can't get a good enough grip. Tried threading two thin nuts on the stud but the threads on the stud are messed up from the vise grips. Thinking about buying a stud extractor socket from Sears. Any ideas?
Thanks
T C

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
If there is enough thread left, you might be better off to chase the threads with a a die and use a nut.

You can try the stud extractor but I honestly don't know if it'll work. Especially given the price Sears charges. I have had success with a small pipe wrench in the past. Sucks though in tight quarters. Heating the manifold should make the metal expand which will help the stud come out a bit easier. Just be careful not to burn yourself in the process.

·
Registered
555 Posts
First,show us a picture. That will help us figure out the best way. With 1/4" sticking out,my favorite trick is to stick a nut over it,then weld it in place.I typically use acetylene (oxyfuel) but mig or tig would work fine. I can never get a stick welder to make a small or high quality enough weld to do the job. Make sure you have anything flammable nearby covered with a welding blanket or removed if you try that. Once its solidly welded in place,after its stopped glowing but still fairly hot,take it out with an impact wrench.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Check out the Lisle stud remover kit part #19250, it might work if there is enough stud left to grab. Basically, you pound the appropriate size remover onto the stud with a hammer and use an impact wrench to extract the stud. Amazon has the kit for around 30 bucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts