Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asking around here the other day about replacing spring eye bushings. Finally got around to the drivers side and noticed that the eye on the leaf is busted.

On the passenger side I have what basically amounts to a cylinder welded to the end of the leaf spring. On the drivers side it is more like a half cylinder. Looks like it must have busted in half at some point. The rear facing half of the spring eye is gone...

I guess now I will be looking to replace the leaf springs too but this is my daily driver. By my reasoning (often flawed) the leaves push towards both the front and rear when compressed so it is unlikely to completely dislodge itself. Am I on target with this?

What do you guys think, is it safe to drive on the road until I can get some rpl springs in hands?

I dont really need any more lift out of new springs but what are the opinions of going with stock(ish) springs?

I am having trouble finding stock size springs. I am only finding add a leafs and OME springs which I believe add lift as well. Any body know a good source for these?

Thanks for reading my ramble.

Nathan

96 Rodeo 4x4 2.5 inches lift. Moneypit

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't take any jumps. Does the broken end appear to be rusted (broken for awhile) or clean (newly broken). It's never good to drive on broken stuff. But if it's been broken for awhile take it easy. Check for a spring maker in your area. There may be one close that can make one for you. But it may be best to replace both if going new. Try junk yard if going for one. Good luck

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks to be an old break as the rust looks the same all over the surface. I would like to replace both, just a problem sourcing the parts so far.

I found these on the Indy4x site but the application is listed as Rodeo 88-95. I have a 96 Rodeo. Anyone know if they will fit (I did send them an email asking).

http://www.independent4x.com/item.html?PRID=1027879

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nathanb33 said:
It looks to be an old break as the rust looks the same all over the surface. I would like to replace both, just a problem sourcing the parts so far.

I found these on the Indy4x site but the application is listed as Rodeo 88-95. I have a 96 Rodeo. Anyone know if they will fit (I did send them an email asking).

http://www.independent4x.com/item.html?PRID=1027879
Email Matt from Independent4x, he can help you on that.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
The leaf springs off of an earlier model Rodeo should fit your 1996 just fine…

In the near future, I will be installing a set of leaf springs from a 1st Gen Trooper onto my 1997 (the same as your`96, exactly) - and the only thing that might cause me a problem will be the size of the head on the center pins (the Trooper springs mate with the 12-bolt axle using a center pin that has a somewhat larger head)… however, simply swapping-out the center pins will take care of this issue.

Other than that, a set of 1st Gen Trooper springs will work equally well on a Rodeo. ;)

Cheers!
Smiley

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

Still waiting on pricing from a couple of junkyards. I may go with the Emu springs but am not sure if they will create more lift or not. Too much more lift and I will have an issue on the front end. I also would very much like to not have to spend $500.00 for the new springs. :cry:

In the near future, I will be installing a set of leaf springs from a 1st Gen Trooper onto my 1997 (the same as your`96, exactly) - and the only thing that might cause me a problem will be the size of the head on the center pins (the Trooper springs mate with the 12-bolt axle using a center pin that has a somewhat larger head)… however, simply swapping-out the center pins will take care of this issue.
Is there an advantage to installing the Trooper springs vs. stock?

As always I appreciate the assistance.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Nathanb33 said:
Is there an advantage to installing the Trooper springs vs. stock?
Well, in my case, YES...
Tad gave them to me - so the advantage is: they were FREE! :wink:
(Thanks again, Tad!!!)

This is Pure Speculation, but...
Looking at them, they appear to be identical to the ones on my Rodeo, so I am guessing that they probably even have the same spring-rate… However - even if not - for my uses, it’s certainly close enough.

Normally, the only issue would be with the aforementioned center pin head-size - but since I will be installing a new set of Add-a-Leafs, and replacing the center pins anyway, I will simply reassemble the leaf packs using some smaller headed center pins - and BINGO; problem solved!

Cheers!
Smiley

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.