Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it was nice and cool,I decided to take the ole lady shopping on the trooper.Trooper did fine on the way there which is about 25 miles away but halfway home I noticed the tach acting funny and jumping around.When I came toa stop,the tropper choked off.I treid to start it back up but it would only turn over,catch a little,spudder and choke back off.I rolled it to a stop and when i got out I smelled gas and I heard a click click noise from under the breather.I took it off and the injectors were ticking and dripping gas. :shock:
after about 2 minutes,they stopped.
But I have yet to get the trooper to fire up.It acts like it wants to but it is flooding.when you turn the key over,you can see the first pulse of gas from the injectors and while it is turning over,you can see the injectors firing.When you stop and turn the key to off,the injectors tick and drip gas.both of them
Possible fuel pressure regulator?
Maybe the fuel pump?
I am letting it cool off to see if maybe I can limp it in the last 6 miles home before i pay to have it towed

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Injectors should not fire if the rig isn't running or turming over during start. Have you tried starting while in WOT mode? (hold gas to the floor, no pumping) in most efi systems trying to start with WideOpenThrottle tells the ecm 'hey it's flooded close the injectors & just crank it dry'.

Hope it helps.

~psguardian

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
psguardian said:
Injectors should not fire if the rig isn't running or turming over during start. Have you tried starting while in WOT mode? (hold gas to the floor, no pumping) in most efi systems trying to start with WideOpenThrottle tells the ecm 'hey it's flooded close the injectors & just crank it dry'.

Hope it helps.

~psguardian
still doesn't start in WOT.I tried that.
I did jump start my sons friend last night.He had left his truck here while they went to the beach and it was dead.
Guess I could have fried the ecm or hurt the alternator.The tach jumping around bothers me as normally with a flood situation,it shouldn't jump around.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Electronically driven tach + injectors cycling while motor not turming over does sound like possible ecm symptoms, got a spare?

~psguardian

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got it home.
It wouldn't crank normally so I WOT and she fired up.Took off and ran fine unless I tried to give it more gas then it sputtered.
I kinda let it cruise at 55-60.I had one stop sign at the top of the hill to turn to my home.I put ti in nuetral to idle it and it really didn;t want to_Once I saw noone coming,when I turned it sputtered kinda bad,I smelt gas but ti made it home and choked down pulling the in yard.Now it doesn;t start even under WOT.Gas smell is strong
also,the tach was all over the place coming home.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What codes if any is the computer pulling? It could be anything from the computer to one of the sensors. The 2.8 in your trooper uses the same ecm as the S10 right? The tack flutter could def be the ecm or ignition module in the distributor.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yenkoz28 said:
What codes if any is the computer pulling? It could be anything from the computer to one of the sensors. The 2.8 in your trooper uses the same ecm as the S10 right? The tack flutter could def be the ecm or ignition module in the distributor.
havnt had the codes check.no warning lites are on.thing has been running like a top since i have owned it last few weeks

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I would go through all the fuses, grounds, & any connectors involved with: ecm, injectors, alt, batt. Just to see if it's an odd coincidence, but the jump probly torched your ecm.

Glad it limped home for you, loyal rig.

~psguardian

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is your check engine lightbulb good ie does it come on when you turn the key to the on position? If not you may want to replace the bulb and see if it's throwing any codes. To pull the codes you just need to jumper the A and B ports with a paper clip or something if it uses the GM aldl connector.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yenkoz28 said:
Is your check engine lightbulb good ie does it come on when you turn the key to the on position? If not you may want to replace the bulb and see if it's throwing any codes. To pull the codes you just need to jumper the A and B ports with a paper clip or something if it uses the GM aldl connector.
yes,i have check engine lites when i turn my key

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
FWIW: The tach signal runs from the dizzy/coil, through the ecm terminating to the tachometer.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shooter said:
FWIW: The tach signal runs from the dizzy/coil, through the ecm terminating to the tachometer.
thanks.looks like i may have fried my ecm jumping that POS chevrolet off last night :lol:

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
88BamaTrooper said:
shooter said:
thanks.looks like i may have fried my ecm jumping that POS chevrolet off last night :lol:
Carb that sucker. :lol:

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Or..... Could it have torched the ignition module? If it's sending an rpm reading when the crank is stationary, the ecm would tell the injectors to cycle.

~psguardian

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
psguardian said:
Or..... Could it have torched the ignition module? If it's sending an rpm reading when the crank is stationary, the ecm would tell the injectors to cycle.

~psguardian
does it look normal in the videos?
and

went out and it started right up.running a little off but id did start and the tach isn't acting up.
sounds off though like it's trying to skip

1 - 20 of 42 Posts