Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, ill have my troopers 2.6L running this weekend. I was wondering if there is anything i need to be carefull whith as far as breaking it in. Can i not drive at speed for a long periods of time, can i not excede a certain rpm and how many miles should i take it easy for? Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a reman 2.6 put into my first Troop years back and here's what I can remember:

- keep revs down. i can't remember exactly but i'm thinking 3k was the prefered line. and go as easy with the throttle as possible. drive like grandma would. :wink:

- change oil a couple of times. i was required by the warrenty to have the oil changed at 500 miles, but after talking with the mechanics he said it wouldn't hurt to do it at 250 first 2 intervals then 500.

- avoid long uphills or any situation that put extra load on it. i lived in the mountains of Colorado at the time so that was a tough one.

- avoid traffic and anything that will raise the temps. the reman blocks had these plugs put in it and they would melt at a certain temp. if one of them melted then you kiss the warrenty good bye.

- extended trips should be avoided.

I can't remember the break in mileage but it was 1 or 2k (prolly 2) before you could drive it normal. that's about all I can recall, pretty good for me considering it was 5 years ago and i can forget where i put my keys while i'm holding them. :roll: unfortunately my Troop got plowed by drunk running a red and killed it with only 10k on the new mill.
:cry:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alrighty thanks. I looked in my service manual and at the end of the motor rebuild section theres a section on braking in the motor. Thanks though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
IIRC the break-in period for new engines is generally 500-700 miles. As Hyudu mentioned, take it easy on the throttle.

Don't change the oil for at least 1,000 to 1,500 miles though. The little particles in the oil help break-in the engine.

Best o luck 8)

·
Registered
80 Posts
i've also heard that you shouldn't use synthetic oil until the engine is well broken-in...'cause it lubricates so well that it'll hinder the break-in process.
i just made the switch to synthetic at 168K miles...i hope it's broken-in well enough by now. :wink:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont know, the new D-max deisels that i have seen dyno results for are interesting. Theres pregresivley more HP and TQ on them up to 60,000miles, when according to the dyno results they are fiunally broke in :shock:

·
Registered
113 Posts
My recommendations:

Stay under 3000k RPM's and 55 MPH for the first 500 miles.

Drive easy on it until 1000 miles.

Do not hold a steady throttle until 1000 miles. speed up and slow down a little constantly.

Change the oil at 50, 500, 1000 miles.

Run the thinnest oil that you can that maintains pressure (on a new engine, not a problem to run 10w-30).

You can run synthetic, but I wouldn't. The reason why you don't run synthetic during berak-in is because it is so expensive. Do you want to spend $100 in oil in the first 1000 miles ($5 x 5 quarts x 3 changes + filters).

I don't know if these engines has non hydraulic valves. If so, check and adjust at 500 miles.

After initial start-up, hold the engine at 2000 RPM's to break-in the cam.

If all else fails, call your local machine shop and ask them what they recommend :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.