Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Trooper with about 150K on it. Replaced pads at about 90K.

I have noticed that over the past few years the brakes seem to take more pressure for hard stops. From what I know this is typically due to the rotors becoming warped. (had a Ford Taurus that had this problem). It is now time to fix it, just not sure what approach to take.

Is it worth it to turn them? (rotors have almost no grooving). I know it may not be possible due to wear or warping that may take it beyond limits, but I wondered if it is even worth it considering the cost of new ones vs. cost of machining.

If I replace, what do I get? Basic ones, premium ones, slotted, etc.?

My driving is pretty tame if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
soft brakes is usually a result of air in the lines , you should first bleed the brakes.

as far as the rotors , i also have nissan 240sx , the steering wheel had a slight shimmy when hitting the brakes , i changed the rotors/ceramic pads , no more shimmy .

i read up on it and many people say the rotors will warp if the rims are tighten too much.

also read stay with the solid rotors , no holes or slots , solid is stronger.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I suggest flushing the brake system completely vs. a regular bleed. The reason is that air may not be in the lines, but old brake fluid gains a higher water content over time and boils sooner and actually has an effect on brake feel. This doesn't include an increase in copper present in old brake fluid which can also cause problems. Other things worth replacing would be the soft lines at the calipers and rear axel points (if it so has any). Those rubber lines lose rigidity with age and bluge out more, thus making the pedal softer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I will try the bleed/flush.
Any suggestions for a good method. The last time I had to do this is was the old school method of using 2 people. One would open the valve while the other pushed the pedal to the floor, then close the valve, let the pedal come back up, then do it again. And again, and again, etc.

Any better way?

·
Registered
645 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts