Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Amigo lately it takes approx 3 pumps on the brake pedal before I can shift out of Park. This happens only if the vehicle is cold. There is no air in the lines I am sure of this.

I assume (bad idea) that the switch that operates the brake lights might release the shifter as well. True? I adjusted the switch to the point where the brake lights come on/switch clicks when you just touch the pedal. No change.

Is there another switch or adjustment? Or is it a vacuum problem? Then again, is this normal? I don't drive it too often, my wife puts most of the miles on it, so I guess it always could have been this way.

Thanks for all your inputs!.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Someone can confirm, but I think that the electrical switch that operates the lights also is used for the shifter interlock. That means that you have have a sticky solenoid under the console. You could try to check that, but opening the console is a tedious task.

-Tad

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sounds like the shifter lock is not working all the time. You should be able to hear a coil in the console click when you depress the brake when in park, key on. Over the years as coffee or soft drinks get spilled in/on the console, it messes up the gearshift lock. You will have to pull the console apart, inspect and clean the electo/mag lock mechanism.
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: under, on the drivers side, of the shifter there is a series of plastic gears that connect the shifter interlock and the cable that attaches to the button you push in to change gears. Also, the cable that goes to the dash mounted gear display attaches to it as well.

It was packed with white grease, it almost looked the dirty grease inside of the range sensor. 5 years of dirt and cigarette ashes were imbedded in the grease. That was what causing the binding (I think/hope). I cleaned the whole area with contact cleaner and put a light coat of wd-40 on it. It seems to have freed it up fine, but tomorrow morning will tell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.