Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 Trooper

One night after disengaging the hand brake the brake light did not go off and I don't know if that affects my engine at all? the car drives fine but I'm curious as to why the light won't go off?? Could it be a bulb or fuse problem?[/quote]

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
just the brake light is on? id check the switch on the e brake handle. see if the tab on the ebrake arm is touching the pin switch when fully released. the other thing to check is the cables, make sure its not buckling and preventing the ebrake handle from FULLY releasing and hitting the switch for the light.
Ron

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
That Brake Light can be on for several reasons.

1) Low brake fluid
2) P-brake still slightly ON or bad switch
3) Tripped pressure-differential valve telling you that either the front or the rear brakes are not working

I'm not sure when Isuzu went to the 'Varying Intensity' brake warning light.

That was a system that had three levels of warning light intensity to tell you what was wrong - or offer a good hint anyway. Most people don't know that - but a good mechanic will know.

The Parking brake ON was always the brightest; the failed/detected front/rear proportional imbalance valve was dimmer and the low fluid was the dimmest light of all.

Make sure you know what you are seeing if you work on the system yourself. Try a skid test on some dirt to see if only the front or rear brakes are working if you're not sure.

Don't guess - and remember that that light is there for a reason other than filling space on the dashboard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you both !!

tomm I shall check for low Parking brake fluid and pin switch?

is that all the way in the back? so after releasing the Pbrake arm it should hit a pin to turn off the light?

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Naldo87GA said:
is that all the way in the back? so after releasing the Pbrake arm it should hit a pin to turn off the light?
follow the ebrake handle back, you will see the switch, its the only thing with wires going to it. if the little tab on the handle that SLIDES, doesnt push the pin all the way down (disconnecting the GROUND to turn off the light), the light will stay on. see if the cable isnt going down smooth and might be holding the handle up just alittle to prevent it from turning off the light

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Mine was stuck on my 91 trooper. I assumed it was the switch, because the truck drove fine and didn't appear to have dragging brakes. Turned out my rear calipers were seized, and not completely disengaging. Had to change them both out. Don't assume everything is alright just because it appears to be, take a close look.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well its not the switch. I followed the brake arm to the back pressed the switch myself and the light remains on. Im going to check fluids tomm and brakes as well.

thanks guys for the helpful info

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Who's this 'tomm' guy? He doesn't seem to know what he's doing - I'd fire him.

Before you go hearing any more zebras, try that skid test I mentioned a few posts ago. That is good for a lot of gray areas to diagnose a brake problem.

Hello? Is this mic working?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Heck fire! We got dirt in downtown LA! Gotta be easier than here for a dirt patch in your place! lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts