Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting for a friend without 'net acess.

Should a front brake last only 30,000 miles on an '02 Rodeo? My friend's has used up the pads, and really scored the rotor. I know, the indicators should have been heard, but that's under the bridge, now.

Is $250+ for repair on this one brake in line? It seems a bit steep to me. I'll likely help him with repairs.

This just seems a bit soon to be rebuilding brakes.

Quidk advice/opinions are appreciated.
Tommy

·
Registered
416 Posts
I usually get 50K on my front OEM (non OEM go much faster) pads.

However, driving habits do impact things to a tremendous degree. so it's tough to say.

$250 sounds about right for parts and labor on a FRONT rotor, but I would expect that both sides should be done unless the undamaged rotor is very close to original spec. I would be wary about the mechanic cutting down the new rotor to match the older rotor thickness!

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
The cost is because you need to take apart, then repack the front bearings during this process. You can find an article about it on the main Planetisuzoo website.

$75 per rotor + $50 for pads + labor. That price doesn't sound too terribly bad.

-Tad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do the front bearings have to do with the brakes? Or, do the bearings need packing every 30,000 miles? 'no disrespect intended. I'm a bit ignorant here, and want to know.

Thanks for the replies,
Tommy

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Well, the brake rotors mount to the inside surface of the hubs. So you need to remove the hubs to unbolt the rotors. To remove the hubs you need to remove the bearings. So, in re-assembly you need to repack the bearings.

Oh, and the repack interval is 30,000 miles too :)

-Tad

·
Registered
591 Posts
Tad said:
The cost is because you need to take apart, then repack the front bearings during this process. You can find an article about it on the main Planetisuzoo website.

$75 per rotor + $50 for pads + labor. That price doesn't sound too terribly bad.

-Tad
2002+ rodeos have the "new" sealed front hub design (like GM, dodge, jeep 4x4's). No need to tear into the front wheel bearings for a brake job. The rotors fall off the hubs once you release the caliper. M1Tommy, it's funny you mension the scored rotors. The rotors on my 2002 looked like crap right off the lot new. Dealer said "it's normal" 25Kmi later, still tons of pad left, brake feel is fine, rotors are still gouged & ugly. Typically isuzu/oem brake parts held up the best. $250 for new front pads & rotors is about right.
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
M1Tommy said:
My friend just learned that his rear brakes are worn badly, too. He was/is not a happy type right now. Thanks for the replies.
Tommy
This is sometimes a hard concept to realize - but here goes -

The front brakes are 'primary' as they bear the brunt of dissipating forward inertia. The rear brakes are basically an assist to the front brakes.

Front brakes (almost) always wear out first.

If the front brakes have lost some of their stopping power, the rear brakes take up the slack - this means the 'wear-out' time will increase exponentially because the rear pads are half the size of the front pads.

So, it is 'possible' the only brakes really working were the rear, and thus this is why now the rear brakes are in bad shape.

What 'may' have cause this is the first place is a 'frozen' caliper whereby one pad has born the brunt of usage or one pad has been pressed to the disc all the time, causing increased wear. Has the vehicle been pulling to one side or the other - almost like an alignment problem?

Your friend needs to request to see the pads as they are removed for inspection. Did he buy this Rodeo new or used? When was the last brake job? Is it recorded/reciepts? If the brakes have been rebuilt and he got cheapo pads, 30K miles doesn't sound so bad but, he needs to know what went on and what the pads were warranted for AND if the previous place removed, cleaned, and re-greased the glide pins.

Cheers,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.