Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just read enigma's post, not sure if the shudder he experienced is the same thing I have been dealing with for the past few months.

yes, occasionally my abs light comes on. always goes off when i shut down. usually comes on every 500-750 miles or so.

occasionally, when going at a moderate (30-35 mph) speed, it feels like the abs system kicks in: I felt this more in winter when driving/braking in snow. also, when braking suddenly, it feels as though the brake pedal offers more resistance when pressed (not lacking in the braking power department). comes and goes. as of late, the resistance occurs more frequently than the shudder.

had this issue before i replaced front/rear pads and rotors. this was before my wyoming excursion, and I only had the issue when rolling downhill at a fast speed.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
12,289 Posts
The front wheel ABS sensor probe consists of a magnet and coil of wire around the magnet. As the ABS tone ring passes close to the magnet the slots in ring causes low voltage pulses to be generated which the EBCM translates into wheel speed. Over time the probe magnet collects rust particles causing the output signal be become erratic and reduced in amplitude. When the brakes are applied the EBCM thinks one wheel is rotating faster than the other causing the ABS to activate. This makes the brake pedal pulsate and a shudder to occur. The solution is to pull out the sensors and clean them. It is also a good idea to clean out the slots on the tone ring which also gets rusted up, but you have to pull the hub to get to the ring which is behind the rotor.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
great information. thanks!

any thoughts on the resistance from the brake pedal that happens occasionally?

·
Registered
12,289 Posts
When the ABS activates there is definitely a different feel in the brake pedal. Hard to tell if you have an ABS problem without driving the vehicle. Try pulling the 50Amp ABS fuse which will deactivate the system, if the symptom goes away you have localized the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.