Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know about a Trooper's Brake Bias. I replaced my front pads on the Trooper (93) and they were completely used. I wrote a note when I installed them to remember the mileage, and they lasted me 39,763 miles. The rears are just fine and have plenty of meat left. My assumption is there is just a spring in the master cylinder that regulates front to back bias. Could, and would this ever get stuck?

I am not looking for race track performance, but have never heard of the Troopers brake life expectancies, and this seems low and very biased towards the front (more than the norm).

Any thoughts?

PS...noticed the angled wear on the pad? A random inspection by me caught this. There is still enough pad at the top where the "squealers" would not squeal! Imagine the damage if I had waited till they did! Yikes. Rotor is fine, normal wear, no gouging.

·
Registered
32 Posts
replace your front calipers. is it 4 wheel disc? either way your brake bias is at the very least 60%-40% front to rear. what kind of calipers are on your front wheels? fixed\floating? single or dual piston?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Front brakes always wear far faster than rear, they do about 90% of the work when stopping. The harder you step on the brakes, the more pressure the bias valve, (actually called a proportioning valve, or equalizer valve, too), puts to the front brakes and the less it gives to the rear, to help prevent premature rear brake lockup.

If your front brakes are gone and rear brakes look new, it's probably because of your driving habits, not any problem with the proportioning valve, those things rarely go bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts