Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Brakes....Anyone have any recommendations for where to buy calipers? Was changing the pads today and one of the Pin bolts(?) snapped off :(

So I need a new Rear Right Caliper assembly....

While I'm at it I was thinking of replacing both rear rotors...again recommendation on where to buy and is there an easy way to remove the old rotor?

2) I've also noticed my parking brake needs pulled all the way up to hold vehicle. How do you adjust the parking brake

3) Shocks...How in the hell do you get the top bolt on the rears? Socket will not fit up there. I'm going to have to buy a 19mm open end/box wrench and try using that....is there an easier way?

Vehicle is a 99 Trooper S

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
brakes.

OEM is the only way to go. Other brakes will cause squeaking. most folks get about 60-120k out of their brakes.

i was reading the pdf manual (use to be able to download it) and for the Rodeo, in park, you just keep stepping on the brake like a dozen times and that is suppose to adjust the parking brake (don't know how, but that is what it said)>

-Ryan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Resqtech said:
1) Brakes....Anyone have any recommendations for where to buy calipers? Was changing the pads today and one of the Pin bolts(?) snapped off :(

So I need a new Rear Right Caliper assembly....

While I'm at it I was thinking of replacing both rear rotors...again recommendation on where to buy and is there an easy way to remove the old rotor?
You may be able to buy just the pin from a dealer. If you do have to buy a complete caliper assembly, don't go to the dealer unless you absolutely have to (or if you just like spending money). Lots of folks recommend OEM brake pads, though I put ceramic pads on my Trooper.

The rear rotors are hard to get off with the parking brake engaged because the parking brake is actually a drum brake inside the rotor. Release the parking brake and the rotor will come off easily.

Resqtech said:
3) Shocks...How in the hell do you get the top bolt on the rears? Socket will not fit up there. I'm going to have to buy a 19mm open end/box wrench and try using that....is there an easier way?

Vehicle is a 99 Trooper S
Those upper shock mounts in the rear are hard to reach. One of mine was so bad I had to cut the bolt out. You might have to buy two wrenches, one for each side.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Back when I replaced the shocks on my 99 Trooper, I recall some difficulty with the upper mounts, but nothing insurmountable. I probably just used wrenches...slow but sure.

One of those ratcheting box wrenches would work well up there, I'll bet.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Just cut the upper nuts off. It's not like you were going to keep them for any reason.

Go with the Isuzu pads.

Joe

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
When I changed mine, I just cut em off.

Down & dirty. :wink:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I changed the rear shocks recently on my 96 Rodeo. The drivers rear was a bear. After trying to use an open ended wrench until my hand was bleeding I finally went to sears and bought a short ratcheting wrench.

With the tire off I was then able to get my arm up in there under the frame rail and spin the nut (I only have about four inches of room to turn the wrench). You cant see what you are doing but you can feel around. Unfortunately I seem to have stripped the lower mount but the upper came off and I was able to get the new one on nice and tight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.