Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my torsion bars and shocks awhile ago..running Indy4x TBs and Rancho 9000XLS shocks... WHat I have noticed is that when I slam on the brakes the truck nose-dives and bounces like 2 times before it settles.. The TBs were only cranked once for the install...do they settle over time? Can I just turn the bolt a turn or two to "beef" them up?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Sounds like a shock issue rather than a spring issue.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
TrooperBeast00 said:
I replaced my torsion bars and shocks awhile ago..running Indy4x TBs and Rancho 9000XLS shocks... WHat I have noticed is that when I slam on the brakes the truck nose-dives and bounces like 2 times before it settles.. The TBs were only cranked once for the install...do they settle over time? Can I just turn the bolt a turn or two to "beef" them up?
Agreed. Shocks.

Your shocks should be stopping that.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That figures... I didnt even get a year outta them awesome! :( I wasn' too happy with them to begin with, back to shock shopping yay! Any suggestions torn between Pro-Comp, Bilstein and Sensa Tracs

·
Registered
677 Posts
I know most don't like them but I've always had good luck with Monroe shocks. That is what I replaced the factory shocks with 5 years ago and they are still working great. Of course mine has no suspension mods and is only driven on the streets, but still, 5 years is very good for a set of shocks on any vehicle.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I also like the Monroe - I have a set of Reflex on my 99 that I carried over from a 95 I sold.

That said if I had the funding I would buy Blistein.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Randy,

Long time no chat... Like mentioned above your shocks are definitely shot. Shocks control the dampening and rebound so if you are bouncing they are gone.

I want with the ARB shocks (Old Man Emu) and I've had them for a year and a half/20K or so miles and they still feel like new. Also running the torsion bars and 929 rear springs.

I LOVE Bilstein shocks. If they have an application that fits the Trooper you won't be disappointed with Bilstein's. They have a warehouse in Wallingford. Sometimes you can buy them online and pick them up at the warehouse. I've done that in the past (not sure if they will still allow that).

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Hmmm, I thought Ranchos were supposed to have a really stiff damper too. Kind of surprising although I have not heard a whole ton of shining reviews for them on here. Anyways, KYB's are nice.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the Rancho 9000XL'S?

I have had 4 sets of 9000's and they all worked well when adjusted.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Are you running a lift at all? Just curious as Monroes and others IIRC aren't lift friendly.

That being said, I LOVE my Nitrocharger Sports, best shock I've ever owned, awesome compliant ride on the street and confident on the trails - and I've had these to the point a normal shock would have melted from the heat of use and the Nitro's felt at the end of the trail as they did at the beginning - no fade whatsoever.

Also, when I have to slam on my brakes, the nose pops up and that's it, no bouncing at all - and that's with stock Tbars, I can't imagine how good they'd be with HD ones...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My truck is only lifted about an 1".. I have to go cheaper this time I spend $450 on Ranchos and they crapped out within a year! So the bilsteins are out as well as OME.. Maybe Pro-Comps?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I have a set of SensaTracs I'd sell for $50+ Shipping if you wanna go cheap...

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'm very pleased with the ARB shocks (much more so than I expected) but like I said I'm generally a Bilstein person.

I just looked the Trooper up on the Bilstein website.

The rears are F4-B46-1739-H1 and the fronts are F4-B46-1738-H2.

A quick google search shows fronts and rears for about $70. For less than $300 you will have a set of shocks that will outlast your Trooper. Not sure what you want to spend but can't go wrong with Bilstein.

I've never personally used KYB but RockAuto has then for less than $40 per shock.

I also checked ARB/Old Man EMU Rear Shock N15 ($94) and Front N65 ($97).

If I was in your shoes I'd go Bilstein for the money.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm not doing any serious offroading and have the front up around 2" and the rear has 1.5" spacers. I'm using Sensa-Tracs and have been happy so far. If you only have 1.5" of lift and don't want to spend $$bills buy Mediamonkeys. $50 is a steal. Even if you use them for a year while saving for OME Nitros it's well worth the money.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
i've got the procomps for a little over an year now and i really like them, and you can't beat the price either check topgunz ebay store they got the best price around.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Another vote for OME here. I love mine, the ride is night and day compared to stock. The guys at Sierra Expeditions have the OME Trooper shocks for ~$80/each.

I do eventually plan on switching to Bilstein 7100s though, only because they offer the extended travel lengths I'm looking for and the remote reservior is nice to prevent fade.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies guys and hey ssmokn it has been along time!

The main thing I have been getting mixed messages on is the shock length depending on life height. I'm lifted 1.5" and some say that you need longer shocks for the back but others say no you don't.. :?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Randy,

I'm no expert here but 1.5" lift is pretty modest. I would think it depends on the specific shock to determine if you need a longer shock or not.

Also, if you aren't fully articulating your suspension (wheeling) I doubt it matters.

I can tell you this. I have at least 1.5" lift (very similar to you) and the OME shocks I referenced above (N15 and N65) have worked VERY well for me. I'm actually surprised how much I like them and I would buy them again.

Bilstein is another winner but I can say for sure that the OME's have no issue with 1.5" lift as I'm using them on my truck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
TrooperBeast00 said:
My truck is only lifted about an 1".. I have to go cheaper this time I spend $450 on Ranchos and they crapped out within a year! So the bilsteins are out as well as OME.. Maybe Pro-Comps?
Don't forget that the Rancho's have a lifetime warranty. I have had good luck with them in the past so maybe you just got some bad ones.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts