Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My latest purchase (Trooper #5, Isuzu #6 !), still runs but not for long! I already have a pretty decent 2.8 shortblock out of my other Troop, but it does have a fair amount of ridge wear on the cyl's.

I'd rather not have to spend $$$ on boring out, O.S. pistons, machine shop pressing rods, etc, etc. A std bore block would make life a lot simpler.

If one of you V6 Trooper Dudes has a clean, low-wear 2.8 (or 3.1 for that matter, no diff) bare block that can be used as is, in the W. Wa area, pls P.M. me. I have other engine parts (i.e. heads etc) that I would be willing to trade if that works for you. I promise the block will be put to better use than the paperweight that it's currently being utilized as in your garage!!!!

I know that even I myself would normally say to just put a 3.4 in, but I'm building this one for my folks to use at their summer cabin near Kenai, AK. So a good runner is the only requirement, doesn't need to be a racer (I've got mine for that!). I'm going to use an HT 3.4 crate motor cam for good torque, or maybe just send the stock cam over to Delta for a torque regrind (a lot cheaper).

Anyway, here's the link to what I got (while it's still good):

http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/48449253.html

Another that should be good for some time:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mamamosa/ ... CBy77wd2KF

TIA...........ed

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
You're starting to sound like me. I *only* have two Isuzus now, but my dad has two 2nd gen Troopers. We're addicted.

I'd think that a low mileage 3.4 would be easier to find via car-parts.com, but I could be wrong. There were a lot of 2.8s used in various S10s and the like.

G80?

-Tad

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since both the Camaro 3.4 and Goodwrench HT 3.4 crate motor have cast-iron heads, either the older carb'd S-10 manifold or the later 2.8 TBI intake manifold will bolt up. In fact, these 3.4's heads are the same as what's found on a TBI 2.8.

The 3.4 does require more fuel. If you use a stock 2.8 TBI, the 3.4 will lean surge when cold, until it goes into Closed Loop and the ECM can control mixture via feedback from the O2 sensor.

You can remedy this problem by installing injectors out of a GM 4.3 TBI in the 2.8 throttle body. Since all of the various GM TBI's are very similar except for throttle bore size, the injectors are a direct swap-out.

Or, for even better performance you can bore out the stock 2.8 TBI intake and then mount a 4.3 TBI atop it. Holley also sells a "Big-Bore" TBI which, by happy coincidence, has the same bore size as a 4.3 TBI. How 'Bout that, eh? But a 4.3 TBI out of an S-10 is a lot cheaper.

I have lots of links saved on the 4.3 TBI swap, besides those in the 3.4 swap files. Send me a p.m or let me know and I can post them all.

BTW this is a very good article on GM 60 Deg performance, check it out if you haven't already:

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/60degreeV6/?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.