Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, fuel pump just died. hooked it up direct to the battery, dead.

Anyway, I'm researching different sorts of pumps for my 6 cylinder carburetor injected 1991 rodeo, and I was told from a mechanic that they had a person come in with a 1 month old broken Bosch pump in the same car. Apparently, these pumps are too powerful for the system and work too hard to supply fuel and prematurely fail.

They seem very Intelligent, but I think they are mistaken. For one I cannot find any information relating to this issue online. For second, it doesn't make sense to me that Bosch, I highly credited and sought after company, would make a fuel pump with a lifetime guarantee and not test it to make sure that it fits the system. For third I don't even think that to powerful a pump would hurt itself, once it builds up fuel pressure it should turn itself off, so it should never have to work that hard.

Of course, I don't want to buy an expensive Bosch pump, only to have it fail on me, So I wanted to run it by here, just to see if there really are any similar experiences.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That sounds a little fishy to me.

I've had my Bosch fuel pump for about 7 years now. 5 of them were in my last '94 Trooper and I swapped it to my current '92 Trooper 2 years ago. It doesn't show any signs of stopping yet.

Maybe they just had a bad experience with one.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Are they trying to sell you a fuel pump ?

They ARE mistaken.

Every manufacturer has the occassional lemon. But I'm thinking they were as sloppy about coming up with a reason for why the pump died as many mechanics, (In professional garages.), are about any kind of diagnostics.

To claim that the pumps die because they work too hard, is ridiculous on the face of it.

I would lay odds on the fact that when they replaced the pump, they replaced the entire assembly.

And that the previous replacement was the pump only. With the previous replacement being done in a sloppy manner and possibly without even checking the pickup, or screen, or anything else about it.

I replaced a pump with a bosch. I replaced the pump only. And I did it right. I checked the entire assembly before putting it back together, and putting it back in the tank. Still going strong after 7 years.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
i installed a napa bosch premium fuel pump in my 95 truck a few months back and it is doing very well.the only pumps i hear that fail quickly are the airtex brand fuel pumps 8) recon

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I had an Airtex that supposedly failed and bought a Bosch replacement. I compared the two after pulling the Airtex. The only difference was the sticker on the top. Everything else, Model number, Stamped Isuzu logo, etc were exactly the same. I think the the whole Airtex is junk and Bosch is better is crap. They buy from a single manufacturer and put their sticker on it.

My 2 cents

1 - 7 of 7 Posts