Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased a 1989 Isuzu Trooper from a local man. On the 1st day I bought it, the ignition coil went out. Fixed that and the car ran great. It's been 1 week now and I was going for a drive. Here is a series of what happened

1) Driving down a road I come to a stop and its nearly impossible to shift into 1st. With a pit of persuasion the car engages into 1st (very roughly) and engagement into 2nd is also rough. 3-4-5 is fine.

2) I drive around a bit more and the car refuses to engage into 1st. Had to turn the engine off, put it in 1st and start the car up to get it moving. Once again, the shifting is very rough.

3) I pull up into base (i'm active army) and I go through some backwoods training area to test the car out. By now its gotten worse. After some engine-off and start up in 1st gear, I have lost all clutch feel. It's as if the clutch cable has snapped.

4) However the car still shifts. So I somehow managed to bring the thing into the parking lot where all gears have refused to engage. I can start the car up in 1st and Reverse. It's sort of scary because when the car starts up it'll start jumping up and down forward or backwards.

I was wondering what the possible diagnosis can be. I'm sort of broke from spending some money on bills, so I don't want to take it to a mechanic. But the base does have a do-it-yourself auto center where I have access to a lift and tools. I have light-medium mechanical knowledge.

Any Help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
The 89 has a hydraulic clutch.

I'd check the fluid level first.

Might need to re-build or replace the slave cylinder.

Jim

·
Registered
92 Posts
PFC JJ

Sounds like your transmission is fine and that you've just got a clutch release problem. I'm not familiar with older Troopers but if it's like most stuff I've worked on over the years it's all easily accessible and not that expensive. Now is a good time to get aquainted with your Auto Craft Shop. They are not just space and tools. They can give you advice too.

PS: There is no more honorable way to "Support Our Troops" than to be willing to make the sacrifice to be come one. Others will be able to rotate home because of your decision to enlist. I salute you for stepping up and doing your part to preserve this countries freedom. You should be very proud of your chosen prefession.

·
Registered
9 Posts
JJ

If you have never used the craft shop, learn to love it now. You can learn alot from the people who work there and the people who use it. They will have almost any tool that you could want and some that are downright scary.

Mac

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'd almost be that the slave cylinder is leaking. When air is the hydrualic lines, you get the exact symptoms you describe. The slave cylinder is most likley to go out on the isuzus. I'd bleed the clutch hydr lines using the bleeder valve on the slave.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yeah the auto crafts centers are great, I did the clutch in the Amigo there on one of their lifts one weekend and it ended up only costing me 60 bucks for a nice lift and all the tools I needed for three days.

Should make you read a pamphlet and take a silly test and then give you a card. After that its easy.

Bleeding the clutch system is pretty simple as far as difficulty goes, you should have little problem doing it if they have a pressure bleeder or a vacuum pump you can use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies

I found out what the problem was. Had a buddy of mine take a look at it and the slave reservoir was empty. We opened the slave plug and bled the system. We filled it back up and voil-la it was good to go. He believes that it was a loose drain plug from the last clutch job.

But I'm going to go ahead and swap out the master/slave in the future.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Go to the slave cylinder and squeeze the rubber cap on it. If it is swollen and has fluid in it you need to rebuild or buy a new slave and that will show where your fluid is going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.