Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok 1990 2.6 5 speed. For awhile now i have a rattle thats been getting worse, like bearings grinding. Sounds like coming from tranny. Anyway on way home today huge smoke trail, burning TONS of oil. go under rig, blown oil everywhere, i mean LOTS. Still reading good oil pressure and not overheating. If a tranny seal went or tranny went would it blow that much oil? How can i check to see if its a tranny problem. Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
emmagator said:
Ok 1990 2.6 5 speed. For awhile now i have a rattle thats been getting worse, like bearings grinding. Sounds like coming from tranny. Anyway on way home today huge smoke trail, burning TONS of oil. go under rig, blown oil everywhere, i mean LOTS. Still reading good oil pressure and not overheating. If a tranny seal went or tranny went would it blow that much oil? How can i check to see if its a tranny problem. Thanks
You need to find where the oil is coming from. The first thing to do is to check which is low on oil,the engine or the trans. I take it you feel that the viscosity and color of the oil indicate motor oil. (and Im assuming your trans uses motor oil like some do,although I don't know that for fact) Try to see if you can crawl under and see where its leaking from. If you cant figure it out,clean off the oil and then see where the drips are coming from. The long and the short is,if the tranny is low on oil and the engine is topped up,then the tranny is where it leaking from.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I've been under there. Cleaned it still can't tell. Black oil leads me to think its motor oil. Majority of oil is low down by oil pan drivers side. Oil pressure reads ok and oil level seems ok, but maybe it hasnt lost enough to show it low.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
if the trans input shaft seal went, the clutch would be soaked and slipping. its POSSIBLE it didnt get on the clutch but that much oil.....idk about that. check the trans fluid level. its 10w30 oil (or 5w30) and should be right at the threads of the FILL plug.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
The front transmission seal can fail - but if the engine's running and you're on the highway, there is no pump to force the oil out of the transmission and leaking that badly doesn't ring true for the reason for the leak in the first place.

Since it's seriously oil-soaked under the vehicle. look to see the foremost part that IS wet with oil. Chances are that the leak is forward of where you are looking.

Don't look at the results - look for the forward source.

You said 'burning' oil - is that from combustion or a leak onto a very hot surface? It makes a big difference.

And - is the noise worse or better? Either way - you may have popped a hole in the case under the countershaft by the way you are describing things.

Look for a bulged transmission case too.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well turns out i burnt a piston or broke some rings, i have reall low compression in #3. Oil was blowing out of dipstick tube :cry:

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
emmagator said:
Well turns out i burnt a piston or broke some rings, i have reall low compression in #3. Oil was blowing out of dipstick tube :cry:
THAT will do it.....sorry to hear

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
wrong coast, i have a 2.6L with 32k that needs a exhaust valve (burnt)
im in NJ :(

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
lowzone said:
wrong coast, i have a 2.6L with 32k that needs a exhaust valve (burnt)
im in NJ :(
You ever get up to Pompton Plains or Pequannock sometimes? I was raised there for much of my life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.