Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone can help with a possibly stupid question. I have a 1991 2.8L V6 trooper. The engine blew. I need to replace the engine but I have not been able to find an s-10 2.8L engine. I have a 2.8L chevy lumina euro (FWD) multi port engine just sitting around. Would this work? I don't have the money to by a crate engine as I have most of it tied up restoring a classic range rover and I really didn't expect this to happen.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :roll:[/img]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
You just got lucky. You can drop a 3.4 engine directly into that. Just make a few adjustments for the starter, you'll have to move it to the same side the 2.8 has it on.

That 3.4 has 200 hp, as opposed to your now 2.8 has 120.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
How bad is it blown? If it didn't have a rod go thru the side of the block, you could take the crank out of the FWD 2.8 and use it in the Trooper 2.8.

The FWD block will mate up to the Isuzu MUA tranny, because the starter is on the same side. However, the motor mount points are different on a true FWD block vs. the modified RWD block the Trooper has.

Plus if the FWD 2.8 has alum heads, the pistons and heads won't work on a RWD block if you want to retain the TBI intake from the original 2.8.

So, just about all that would be good from your FWD v6 would be the crank, rods, and misc components. Even if you found an S-10 2.8, you'd have to drill for the driver's side starter, same as mentioned for a 3.4.

BTW a 3.1 out of a 4WD Rodeo will also fit and has the starter on the driver's side. You do have to be careful to make sure it's from a 4WD Rodeo, as the 2WD Rodeo's came with a Borg Warner tranny and had the starter on the pssgr's side like an S-10 or Camaro.

Of course, the 3.4 out of a Camaro/Firebird is also an option as mentioned. If you can score one fairly cheaply at a local yard it might be a viable alternative.

I have mucho info regarding the 3.4 swap and if you're interested, send me a Private Message, listing your e-mail address, and I'll forward the info to you.

Cheers........ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts