Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yuppers, it happened, last thursday I blew the motor on my Isuzu, and thank goodness for the warranty, I am getting a new block put in that would have cost me $8500.00!!! I had the radio turned up, when the oil light flashed for a second, turned down the music, and heard a 'rpm speed' clicking, then, NOTHING!!! Thank goodness I was able to pull to the median lane, left side, and out of traffic. Now I am waiting for the block to arrive in Milwaukee from Cincinatti, so hopefully I will be able to make Christmas!! GM does not service Isuzu in the US, which I found out after an emergency tow. I thought it was the timing belt, but it was the whole engine! I don't know exactly what happenned, but will know in the next few days. I had just gone to Castrol full synthetic oil, but I don't know if that was the case or what. I will keep you posted on the Troopers return to the road. :D

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sorry to hear about that! Have seen a few reports now of a spun #1 rod bearing being the death of the 3.5L :shock: :x. No conclusive data as to why it is happening though yet- other than maybe low oil level. How many miles were on your rig? Did it use oil at all? Oh yeah.. if you don't mind me askin'- what weight/viscosity oil(s) did you run in it? Hope the new motor works out well for you. G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had just had the oil changed a few weeks ago, and I went to Castrol full synthetic, 5W-30 weight, and I believe I had put about 2800 miles on the motor since. Matter of fact, I was to change oil again at 3500 miles, but she was toast by then. There is 49200 miles on the trooper now, never used any oil, and my only indication of problems was seconds before she died, the oil light went on and off quickly. I had thought timing belt, but it is worse than that. I will post a full report once the unit is on the road again, which is hopefully friday evening.

I would have loved it if Isuzu had offered me a diesel option, that would have been sweet. I looked at the D-Max, and that looks like an awesome rig!! This does not lose me as an Isuzu customer, actually, because of the quick response from the Isuzu Warranty office, I am overly impressed with the speed that this scenario was handled. I am no longer griping about the fuel economy, just the down-time while I wait for the repair to be done. Actually while she sits on the hoist, she's getting the best fuel economy ever!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I forgot to include that I contacted the shop where the oil change was done, and Castrol has a 500,000 mile warranty on motors that use the full synthetic oil. Apparently, I can have the warranty also transfered to the new motor, but that will be after the break-in with regular oil.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yep. A nice turbo diesel would be awesome. 2800mi in a few weeks :shock: !!! You do need a diesel!

Joel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.