Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it been really hot here this summer in TX. I Started noticing black tar running from the bottoms of all 3 doors. This stuff is nasty. If you come within 3 feet of it, it will jump onto your cloths and pretty much doesn't come off. Had to replace the floor mats and throw out a few pairs of pants and shoes.

Pulled the interior panels and it is the stuff that hold the weather barrier plastic onto the door frame. This stuff was litterly and inch thick and oozing every where. Why the hell did they use sooo much? The only thing that took it off was a spackle knife and gas. Worst weekend project ever!

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Yeah, that stuff is in other places too. When I stripped the interior of my 91 Trooper, it was on a hot summer day and the stuff was like peanut butter. Its under a lot of trim pieces and certain areas of the carpet and headliner. I found that a lot of Acetone and elbow grease cut it pretty good.

And speaking of the moisture barrier plastic, I have a question. How necissary is it? Does it just block condensation from entering the vehicle and fogging up the windows? Or does it have a more important role? Does it actually keep moisture off of your window mechanicals? I ask because I am going to remove all of this stuff when I re-do my doors, and I am wondering if I even should bother replacing it. Its pretty much always dry here in Reno, so lots of rain and humidity isn't a worry for me so much.

Bart

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
It also minimizes the chance of the door panels wicking moisture, etc.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Yeah that stuff is really hard to get off of textiles.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
shooter said:
I guess if I remove mine I can buy some new plastic and just use RTV or hot glue to replace the stuff...

Bart

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
nfpgasmask said:
shooter said:
I guess if I remove mine I can buy some new plastic and just use RTV or hot glue to replace the stuff...

Bart
You got it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't even remember the last time I saw rain around here. Certainty not this year. I just pulled the plastic off and will wait until it cools off to address it.

I remember my old chevy had small holes drilled at the very bottom of the doors to allow any water that got in to seep out and cut down on puddling. I'll have to see if something like that is manageable

·
Registered
676 Posts
Turtle wax makes a product called "Bug & Tar Remover" that may help get that gunk off. I've heard good things about it, and I think it only runs about $6 for a can of it. Give that a shot for removing the tar.

Good luck!

-Robert

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I use Goo gone to clean mine up. I took the door panels apart and cleaned the excess well but it still keeps coming back. Slowly but surely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts