Isuzu SUV Forum banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Well. looks like the #1 exhaust valve seat is pitted. The camera isn't particuarly good, but if the seat itself is pitted, i can assume the valve itself isn't any better.

Astronomical object Circle Event Metal Science

That edge to the right is probably where i'm losing my compression.

Headgear Eyelash Circle Fashion accessory Electric blue

Eye Automotive tire Sky Water Electric blue

Well. what do i do now? do i lap the valves? or do i take the head to a machine shop? do i need to buy a new valve and seat? It seals well enough to make at least 120 PSI on the compression tester, so i'm hoping this is still salvagable and i don't have to spend ungodly amounts of money having it remachined.

I don't like the idea of buying a junkyard head and swapping it out, as it will have unknown history, - could've easily been as neglected as this one was.

Oh well. just looking it over, there are far worse cylinder heads to remove than this one. in the end it's all going to count towards my personal skills, which is why i'm taking on this project in the first place.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
Does anyone have anything to say about this fuel pressure/valve situation? I need help figuring out where to go from here.

I just dead-headed the fuel pump on my pressure gauge and i got 70 PSI. but when i took power off, it quickly dropped down to 20 and stayed there. hardly any fuel came out the gauge when i hit the release button, too.

EDIT: Tried putting the gauge in line with the inlet hose again. this time it worked just fine. (perhaps i must've accidentally disconnected something?)
Only thing is, pressure still drops immediately after i turn the key, and the needle doesn't change at all when i remove vacuum from the regulator. Maybe it's this thing that's bad?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Got some good news. local mechanic quoted me a really good price on a new valve + a recut seat. 50 to 100 for just that, no further inspection.

That's okay, though. I can buy a valve spring compressor and inspect it myself.

Again, does anyone have anything to say about this situation? I still have that throttle body which shows daylight over the edges. i don't know why that can't be compensated for by adjusting the idle air screw (which is an adjustable vacuum leak).

61 - 63 of 63 Posts