Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes putting the truck into R is stiff in the shifter. It's an auto. The tranny doesn't have any issues actually engaging or moving in R just the shifter feels tighter than normal. From what I can see there is some mechanics in the shifter and some linkage going to the range mode sensor. I see no physical linkage into the transmission at this point. Am I correct in this assumption that it's electronic beyond this point so the binding is *NOT* in the tranny but somewhere in the shifter and/or range sensor linkage.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The binding could be inside the transmission, but its not likely. inside you are still moving a lever with a spring loaded detent, and a valve in the valve body of the trans. most likely the binding is going to be in the external linkage or the shifter base itself. You can unhook the external linkage and shift the transmission alone by hand (make sure it cant roll away and run you over) to see if its internal or the external linkage.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The binding is getting really bad now. I had to replace the shaft seal so pulled the range sensor, linkage, etc. I see what your talking about and it visually makes sense.
I was able to rotate the shaft (with linkage removed) through all positions with a opened ended wrench with no binding at all. With shift linkage still unattached, the shift lever was binding from D-3-2-L. PRND are ok. Also noticed that other than PRN, there is no lock in between positions so the lever really just slides into place. I can tap it from D to N or D to 3 without having to press the button. I gets really tight from 3-2-L and the dash lights don't line up. I think the level assembly is probably about gone. Can this be replaced on the cheap?

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
robs said:
The binding is getting really bad now. I had to replace the shaft seal so pulled the range sensor, linkage, etc. I see what your talking about and it visually makes sense.
I was able to rotate the shaft (with linkage removed) through all positions with a opened ended wrench with no binding at all. With shift linkage still unattached, the shift lever was binding from D-3-2-L. PRND are ok. Also noticed that other than PRN, there is no lock in between positions so the lever really just slides into place. I can tap it from D to N or D to 3 without having to press the button. I gets really tight from 3-2-L and the dash lights don't line up. I think the level assembly is probably about gone. Can this be replaced on the cheap?
YOUR SHIFT LEVER ASSY IS DONE FOR, ,A LOT OF PLASTIC PIECES AND THEY GET WORN TO THE POINT THAT THEY WONT SHIFT , COMPLETE NEW ASSY IS 160.00

1 - 4 of 4 Posts